buinomon open development : story

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: buinomon open development : story

Postby AeroQC » Fri May 09, 2014 5:18 pm

The story document hasn't had any changes for about 4 days as of writing this, I was just waiting for us all to come to an agreement before charging ahead.
I would still like to say that anyone with access to the official document can edit and write story elements, it's just recommended to run any ideas by the forum thread so as not to amass confusion with additions and such. I'm not a professional writer, despite my best efforts to appear so, therefore I hope I can ask for help now and again. Right now I have some spare time, so I'll write up some stuff and add it to the document.

Doc wrote:Name idea for the scanning tool:
P - ortable
O - bject
D - igitizer

POD. Sweet and simple and sounds like its purpose.

This right here, is just awesome. Also, are we making acronyms a thing in this game? We already have BES, now we have POD, should we come up with a few more acronyms? Just for S&G?
But seriously, the POD is perfect.

EDIT: Dang! I just realized that we have no names for the protagonist or any character in the game for that matter. For now I'll use placeholders but I think we should start this up.

EDIT2: Okay, so I made some headway on the in-game story, you can view the updated version at the same link provided in my first post on this thread. It covers what makes the protagonist want to go after the spy and why he should take the buinomon with him (and only one of them). Notice how I never mention BES though. I'm thinking we change the name from Buinomon Extermination Society to Buinomon Extermination Syndicate, making it a sort of secret subdivision of the Metro Technologies company (Also: Metro Tech. was just a random idea, feel free to comment on that).
AeroQC

Postby Joder921 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Yeah, POD is perfect! Also, we could change the name for BES entirely (if wanted). I just came up with it on the spot, so if anybody else has other ideas for a name, that would be great. If we are going to keep it as BES, the syndicate makes it sound cooler, and more secretive. (I like it!)

Also, are we even going to have a name for the protagonist? Usually the player chooses the name that the protagonist will go by. Although we could get a recommended name for the boy and for the girl. (the name is already filled in, but you can easily erase it and put in your own name like in some Zelda games.)

Btw, can you expound on the metro tech idea? I am unclear what exactly it is.

EDIT: sorry, didn't read the story yet, I understand now. Also, I am going to try to write this out in a more detailed story version. I will be busy for the rest of today, but I will probably be able to write it up tomorrow. I will put it in a separate spot in the official document once I am done.
Joder921

Postby AeroQC » Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Well the naming schtick just makes things a lot simpler to write down rather than the placeholder [Protagonist]. Plus there's always a default name for the protagonist, whether it's just used by the dev team or in-game. I think it would be great to have a male and female default name or, even better, a unisex name.
My suggestions:
Male: Cameron
Female: Camilla
Unisex: Cris

As for renaming BES, well... So far i have no ideas, which is kind of wierd... I can blurt out entire stories, but when it comes to renaming something that already sounds nice, i just come up with blank. I'm still gonna try and come up with some names, but I won't prioritize it too much. Besides, Buinomon Extermination Syndicate seems to fit the bill, for now.
AeroQC

Postby MirWurscht » Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm

What if the spy didn't only steal plans for the Serum, but also a POD with some immune buinomon, and the hero has the only immune buinomon left (maybe not-knowing, as pet and his dad tells bim, after they get robbed). The BES-people split the other buinomon, and the hero has to find them, fight them (sometimes in tournaments) and steal they're buinomons. Maybe sometimes, after he stole the buinomon, the hero has to flee from the Arena, because the other people don't know, that the Agents are Agents, making him sort of an misunderstood hero (kinda like Spider-Man (-;).

Also, hello :-)
MirWurscht

Postby AeroQC » Tue May 13, 2014 12:31 am

Hello to you too, Mir.

After reviewing this a bit, I understand that this could be a valid plot device, but the execution may use some tweaking. Why would BES steal the immunized buinomon only to have them compete against regular buinomon? Why not have them used to acquire infected buinomon to further study and then control them? Since they are immune, they can be used without worry until the infected can be controlled.

So how about it? BES wishes to rule the world by controlling powerful buinomon that have been infected with a virus which renders them even more powerful, yet very rampant. To capture and then control these buinomon, they need the immunized buinomon (since the virus is infectious), hence the theft from the lab at Metro Tech.
AeroQC

Postby Doc » Wed May 14, 2014 11:30 pm

Just a thought that as far as I can tell has not been discussed, move sets.

I was thinking that if we are not trying to make a direct rip-off of pokemon we should not really copy their moves.

ie;

Grass:
Root loop
pseudo seed

fire:
fire wall
viral purge

virus:
corrupt
code bash

light:
optimize
compile
Doc

Postby AeroQC » Thu May 15, 2014 3:02 am

I see what you are trying to get at, but I don't think this is the correct thread to be talking about game mechanics. As far as I know, no one has even spoken about developing the basic layout of the game, all we have is story and art. I'm not well versed in programming myself, but I think that a proof of concept would be a good thing to see, traffic on this game seems to be at an all time low. I'm looking for some feedback, but I'm not quite sure what's going on with the art department, and like I said, the game mechanics and programming is just non-existent

TL;DR: I think we need some game mechanics as well.
AeroQC

Postby SerMagnas3 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 am

for some reason i don't have access to the recent story doc. could you post a link?
SerMagnas3

Postby AeroQC » Fri May 16, 2014 1:33 pm

The Link is on the first page of this thread, I just checked it and it still works.

In any case, here it is again:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14iu9SuT75bOrI7OhmgFXuY3mbkX1zJwh36xNHenq560/edit?usp=sharing

Keep in mind this is the non-editable version.
AeroQC

Postby adekto » Fri May 16, 2014 2:18 pm

hey guy just wondring how story is going
more specificly i want to hear what u got on act 1 (intro)
list of actors (including the background cast)
locations mostly the setpices where the events happen
and wich events there are going to be rough dicription would be fine

what i understood from the story so far we need:
player charecter (m/f)
dad (scientist)
scientist
evil scientist
gaurd

for locations all i can take out of it is the lab wich is probebly very big
adekto

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development