Switch to full style
Improvements for the web system, applications to moderator, spam, etc.
Post a reply

Gamebuino instructions for Linux

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:05 am

I will add to the wiki instructions for Linux users.
The reason why I am adding these instructions is to make it easier for anyone using Linux.
One problem I ran into installation was putting the libraries and bootloader in their respective places, which I have put up.
Any problems for Linux posted here, I will try to solve.

Re: Gamebuino instructions for Linux

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:59 am

I'd like some way to compile without starting the arduino IDE. I have my own editors which I prefer a lot over the IDE. I tried different makefiles, ino and the arduino-ide cli mode, but got nothing to work. I currently edit my files with my usual editor, start up the arduino IDE, load the files and then compile them, but that's a lot of hassle for a simple compile. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:27 am

I cannot help you with the Arduino IDE.
I'm sorry, but I'm trying to learn it.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:44 am

94k wrote:I'd like some way to compile without starting the arduino IDE.

What IDE do you use? There is a netbeans plugin to be able to compile arduino programs, it's pretty neat. It includes a makefile you could adapt to your needs.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Thank's rodot, I'll check it out. I'm coding in vim, but got none of the plugins for vim working, which is why I'm looking for a simple makefile/command combination I can call via keybinds.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:17 pm

I found out how to change the directory of where the compiled project can go.
I'll put up directions on the getting started page.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:03 am

Code:
For Arch linux Users:

download Arduino from the AUR (it's out of date, but we'll fix that in a moment)
install like any other AUR package.

Get the 1.5.6r2 build for linux (x86, or x64) from arduino's website.
extract that, and put it in /usr/share/arduino, overwrite any files.

Get Gamebuino's master files from Github, but 'libraries' in 'libraries' and 'gamebuino_boot' into /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/bootloaders. Add Gamebuino's information into the Boards.txt

Add yourself to the 'uucp' and 'lock' groups.

there, you've got arduino installed, and the icon should be there and already set up with whatever desktop manager you've installed (thanks to the AUR package that did this work for you).

You should now be able to select '/dev/ttyUSBx' where x is the USB device associated with the Gamebuino itself, and upload a program.  If you install the AUR package by itself, it will be at 1.0.5, which doesn't work right for some reason. The beta builds fix this.

Stuffed it in Code so it wasn't as long, but that's the process that got my Gamebuino transferring on my Arch Linux (runnign KDE4) laptop. I leave it set to Arduino Uno, because the gamebuino isn't listed as a device. It still seems to work fine, though.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:56 am

If you want to build Arduino code outside of the IDE, try Ino. There's a tutorial in Issue 15 of The MagPi on page 8, written by none other than me :lol:

http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/mcj33/themag ... -15-en.pdf

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:12 am

In the Arduino IDE preferences there is an option called "Use external editor." Select this and the IDE will reload the file each time you click upload. This makes it so you can work in a separate editor, but keep the Arduino IDE open and just use its Upload and Compile functions. That's what I do. I have TextMate open with what I'm working on, and the Arduino IDE up next to it in "External editor" mode and it works fine for me. I don't know it this helps you guys though.
Post a reply