New games gallery dev : categories or tags ?

Improvements for the web system, applications to moderator, spam, etc.

How to sort games in the new games gallery ?

Categories (folder like)
36%
Tags
64%

Total votes : 22

New games gallery dev : categories or tags ?

Postby rodot » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Hey Gamebuinians,
Sorunome and I are working on a new game archive (original topic here). We stumbled upon a disagreement on how things should work, so we chose to let you decide:

Options 1 : Categories (folder-like)
Each game belongs to one or several categories. Categories are organized in a folder-like structure, and you can browse categories like folder. Example of categories :
- Games
--- Action
--- Puzzle
- Utils
- Misc
You would have two pages to find games :
a "recent games" when you can sort games using different criterias like date updated, number of downloads, etc.
a "browse archive" page where you can browse categories like folders to find games. Something like http://www.ticalc.org/pub/

Option 2 : Tags
You can add different tags to your game. For example your game could have the tags "action" "platform" and "RPG". There is no folder like structure this time.
There would be only one page to browse games, where you could both sort using different criterias (like date updated, number of downloads) and only check a few tags you are looking for.
For example, you could look for the 10 most downloaded "puzzle" or "platform" games, or the 50 last "action" games.
There would be a list of tags available to avoid abuses. User could request the addition of new tags.

My personal opinion is that if we use folder-like structure, it would be confusing because we are not used to files being in several folders at the same time. Tags would allow to have only one unified page to browse game, and would allow the use of more advanced filters.
rodot
Site Admin

Re: New games gallery dev : categories or tags ?

Postby Sorunome » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:41 pm

Seems like tags won :P
Sorunome

Postby erico » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:01 pm

There would be a list of tags available to avoid abuses. User could request the addition of new tags.

If this is the case, then I prefer tags, even though I´m well used to folder structure from time immemorial.
The actual hard part I guess would be to figure the tag or folder´s names. ;)
erico

Postby Sorunome » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:08 pm

Heehee, indeed, good thing that those are soft-coded so that it is always possible to create new ones later on :)
Sorunome

Postby erico » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Yep, but tags are still confusing sometimes, specially when wrongly used (which won´t be our case) like netflix here in brazil. Since they don´t license 1/100 of the content available on the US, they kind of tag everything with everything so it looks good on their side. :lol:

Should not be a problem for us yet, but the decision on the tags now, could reflect strangely on the (hopefully) future when there will be thousands of games and apps, where at such time re-tagging stuff will be hard work. ;)

Also, I´m an oldschool gamer, so I use certain specific genre for games as it was (it works), and this issue alone is grey, as newer generations tend to have different views and the very early game academics/scientists tend to have another different view, so there is no standard to it.

In my opinion, a game genre is specific related to how a game advances based on mechanics and playability, so it is a totally different thing from movies or music. I´m not sure the rest of the world would agree to it. :oops:
erico

Return to Website and Forum