Gamebuino Games

Improvements for the web system, applications to moderator, spam, etc.

Re: Gamebuino Games

Postby matt » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Have you looked at GitLab? whenever I think of repos of things I think of it. It has a built in issue tracking system... and if you checkout digitalocean.com for hosting they have one-click deploy of it!^^ Hope that helps!
matt

Postby rodot » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks for this suggestion :)
I already rent a server so that's not the problem ;)
I didn't find any way to sort projects by popularity on GitLab ?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby treflip » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:25 pm

My two cents...

Have you seen TiCalc.org??? That to me is similar to this project in many ways (DIY'ers, Monochrome/Greyscale screens, Forum residence) and I see their community lasting so long because of the simplicity of their organization (Folders/SubFolders.. Tree system) and free programs/information.

If I need something I just go the site and use their tree system under my device model or search box it. I've never paid for a game but have given many thank you's to the developers that helped me understand something. There is no fee for any games/applications/utilities on their sites but some sell with links to other sites (Calc Made Easy, Davinci projects used to be for sale). However the applications that sell are mainly for math and rarely(ever?) do I see a game being sold.

As Drakkar said the Gambuino project is based on a community of DIY'ers and I for one wouldn't be anywhere if I had to pay for the info I've read on Arduino's website and other MCU blog's. Not to be too opinionated, but I for one am just ready to pay-it-forward so to speak with both my games and knowledge of making them.

... this is just my two cents though!
treflip

Please improve the way projects are listed

Postby inversesandwich » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:40 pm

The current way that code is posted is horrible.

What happens is that someone creates a cool game, then decides to upgrade it by posting code in another post. Then someone else suggests a change. Suddenly the code is scattered everywhere, with out of date versions etc.

The simple solution is a code repository. Github is my favourite (because as a student I get a discounted subscription :) yay!). No only is the code the latest possible, but it records version history so that you can go back if you messed up. Also, you can really easily accept code suggestions and it automatically credits them. And if you don't know how to use git, there are plenty of tutorials and videos etc.

So I urge you to store code using some form of code repo please!

Moderator : topic moved to "Website & Forum" and merged
inversesandwich

Re: Please improve the way projects are listed

Postby rodot » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Yup I agree with you, that's why I already implemented that on the wiki for all the examples to be up to date with the latest version of the library.

About people games it's more complicated. It's not just about having your code somewhere, I would like to have an actual game gallery, with game categories, user rating, sorting by number of downloads and stuff like that.

BTW GitHub is free if your code is open source. Some people suggested GitLab too.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby zerosimms » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:37 pm

inversesandwich wrote:The current way that code is posted is horrible.

What happens is that someone creates a cool game, then decides to upgrade it by posting code in another post. Then someone else suggests a change. Suddenly the code is scattered everywhere, with out of date versions etc.

The simple solution is a code repository. Github is my favourite (because as a student I get a discounted subscription :) yay!). No only is the code the latest possible, but it records version history so that you can go back if you messed up. Also, you can really easily accept code suggestions and it automatically credits them. And if you don't know how to use git, there are plenty of tutorials and videos etc.

Just so you know, bitbucket is free for private projects ;)
zerosimms

Postby inversesandwich » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:43 am

zerosimms wrote:
inversesandwich wrote:The current way that code is posted is horrible.

Just so you know, bitbucket is free for private projects ;)

I have a bitbucket account, I just like github.

I do like the idea of gitlab tho. Rolling Gamebuino's own self-hosted solution would be nice.
inversesandwich

Postby rodot » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 pm

I've been thinking about the best way for people to share their Gamebuino games and programs. For me the best solution seems to be the following:

- You put your game on GitHub. On your repo you include source code, binaries, and a nice README.md which presents your game in detail with pictures and all. This way people can fork it, etc.
- On the wiki, on the page "games" I'm gonna create a table/list template for everybody to be able to add their own game (a quick description, a small picture and a link to their GitHub). I'll try to add some sorting features too.

Does that sounds good to you guys?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby zerosimms » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Sounds like a plan Batman!
zerosimms

Postby rodot » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:01 am

Here is my ongoing work on a new game list... wow, much fancy.
I'm pretty happy, I made everything, all the templates, style sheet, icons, etc. and it starts to look not that bad.
rodot
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Website and Forum