Simple Breadbordbuino :)

Show us your Gamebuino clone or the last module you made.

Simple Breadbordbuino :)

Postby kzbno » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm

A simplified breadboard version of the Gamebuino:

breadboardbuino.jpg
breadboardbuino.jpg (138.94 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
kzbno

Re: Simple Breadbordbuino :)

Postby erico » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Looks Hal! :D
lot´s of colorful cables.
erico

Postby Myndale » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:08 am

Awesome! I assume that's a Nano v3.0 on the right?

Also what level shifter are you using, a 74hc4050? (Not that it's really needed, according to the spec sheets the breakout boards are 5V tolerant...haven't had any problems myself at 5V either).
Myndale

Postby kzbno » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Myndale wrote:Awesome! I assume that's a Nano v3.0 on the right?

[ Thx! It's the Arduino Nano v3.0 from ebay.com :) ]

Myndale wrote:Also what level shifter are you using, a 74hc4050? (Not that it's really needed, according to the spec sheets the breakout boards are 5V tolerant...haven't had any problems myself at 5V either).

[ CD4050BE. I was dreading that it would damage the LCD if I connected it directly to the Arduino. ]
kzbno

Postby kzbno » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:52 pm

This controller has an easy to use SPI protocol and handles all the hard work of driving this display (multiplexing, generating bias voltages, ect.).
Driving the display is relatively easy with any microcontroller. However, it runs on and uses 3.3V logic, so you would need level shifters to shift the voltage down.

However, after doing lots of research it seems that the PCD8544 has a maximum voltage of over 5 volts, and that people can drive it perfectly fine on 5V, although it could reduce the life span of the display. I was willing to take the risk.

I decided to connect the VCC (power) connector to my Arduino’s dedicated 3.3V supply, and all the other lines to my Arduino directly. It worked perfectly and still does, with absolutely no issues. However, I do not recommend this so don’t blame me if you end up damaging your display!

What do you thing about this?
kzbno

Return to Hardware Gallery