LCD screen advice

Show us your Gamebuino clone or the last module you made.

Re: LCD screen advice

Postby Duhjoker » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:00 am

All right so how involved would it be to add color to the library or rather make my LCDs library work with the Gamebuino.

I figure I'm about to build my own any way any way and I can make two versions. One version of the game for the general use and another for any one that might want to upgrade in 256. With a teensy one could build some pretty big games at 256k memory and color.
Duhjoker

Postby rodot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:21 pm

The library won't work with a higher resolution/color screen, because the whole screen is stored in a back buffer... and you only have 2KB of RAM. For example a 160x128x16-bit buffer would take 40KB of RAM. If I were you I would use the current Gamebuino as it is, and wait for a potential new version of Gamebuino ;)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:35 am

Well I have all the parts and the teensy has more than enough memory to handle a small colorized game and having the library out there will encourage game makers and builders alike. Then theres one upping the competition.

All right so I took a simple tilemap[] with character sprites and tried to compile it with the included library and expected to get a bunch of errors about not finding blah blah blah in the library but I do know it uses spi. But it does give an error posted below....

Code: Select all
Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila, ATmega328"

WARNING: Category '' in library LCD_2000_7775 is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Missing 'maintainer' from library in C:\Users\duhjoker\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LCD_2000_7775

Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

now mind you I was using two sprites for the character sprites you know to get two colors.

Also it doesnt have a display.h file so the current one used by the gamebuino should work with it. Barring the color issue.
so what is a maintainer and how do give it one

Also was looking at the .h file for the LCD and the one created by summoner123 which I have been using (since it has the upgrades I need for the game i.e., tilemap[]) and I can see that the 7775 screen .h file that some of these functions are missing.

So I'm wondering if I could transplant the functions from display.h that are needed in the LCDs library file. Of course I realize I would have to do the same the other c++ files.
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:45 am

I'm looking at the settings file for the GB library and I'm looking at the //screen.....

Code: Select all
//Screen

#define scr_clk   13
#define scr_din   11
#define scr_dc    A2
#define scr_cs    A1
#define scr_rst   A0

Are these describing the pins used for the screen? So I would hook up the LCD's clk to 13, din to 11 and etc?

What is scr_din

And the same for the button pins?
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:42 pm

Ok can I assume that scr_din is data in so it would be mosi and scr_dc is data out so it would moso on the screen, all the others are labeled right.
Duhjoker

Postby naed » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:33 am

A quick Google brings up this info

DC = data/command
DIN = data in
naed

Postby Duhjoker » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:46 am

hmmmmmmm

Ok heres a pic of my boards pin out.

Looks like it has every thing but scr_din and scr_dc.

It's got spi would you happen to know which pins would work would they be mosi and miso?
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:20 am

Thank you for posting by the way.

Im also curious about the sck pin in the dchematics and looks like threedifferen wires go that pin. Is that right or are thereother pins that can be used as sck?

Heres a pick of my console. It actually has more done but im afraid to solder any leads till i figure out hiw to attach the screen.

Also added more buttons as an expansion for up to 32-bit games but only in black and white. This should also fix thr grey issues as you actually have the color grey instead of flipping frames.

Any help as always will be greatly appreciated.
Duhjoker

Postby naed » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Looks good :mrgreen:

I'm afraid building a console is out of my ability right now tho :?
naed

Postby Duhjoker » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Ok I did some searching and was able to figure out that SCR_DIN is definitely mosi. But for SCR_DC or mode selec, I can't seem to find out which pin that is.
Duhjoker

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Gallery