LCD screen advice

Show us your Gamebuino clone or the last module you made.

LCD screen advice

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:29 am

im trying to build a classic Legend of Zelda port for the Gamebuino but in order for it to really look nice I need to have an LCD that can support the amount of pixel resolution it takes.

So I'm looking to build a Gamebuino clone with a screen of about 176x220. Well all I can find on about the right size are 256 colors.

Can a color LCD be used with out too much hassle?

Which arduino unit do I need for the logic and what would you reccomend for a charger module and arduino programmer module?
Duhjoker

Re: LCD screen advice

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:14 am

Specifically this LCD here.......

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-US

Note to Admin::: not spam, for details and info

Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:14 am

sorry double post
Last edited by Duhjoker on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duhjoker

Postby Sorunome » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:54 am

I would rather try to fit everything into the current screen, using a different one would mean that barely anybody would be able to play your game ;)

Then there's also the ram issue, with the current screen (1-bit color) you already need a screen buffer of 512 bytes, so if you were to use the current resolution and 4-bit color you'd already need a screenbuffer that is 2048 bytes large, which is all of the gamebuinos ram!
Sorunome

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 am

The ram would be a problem. Is there any thought of upgrades to the system in the future?

I figure y'all might upgrade in the future in which case the game would be there but not until after I finish the 6-bit version.

Curious but could 2 arduino pro minis be used use one as the slave to hold all the progmem data (sprites and other data and the second as the master which has all the actual programming?
Duhjoker

Postby Sorunome » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:06 am

Duhjoker wrote:The ram would be a problem. Is there any thought of upgrades to the system in the future?

I figure y'all might upgrade in the future in which case the game would be there but not until after I finish the 6-bit version.
There was somewhere a survey about what we'd like to see in a possible gamebuino 2, so maybe one will come?
Curious but could 2 arduino pro minis be used use one as the slave to hold all the progmem data (sprites and other data and the second as the master which has all the actual programming?

Yeah, you could use the ICSP port or the I2C port to have two devices communicate. For a master-slave-like system I2C would probably be the easier option as its protocol is already master-slave-based.
Sorunome

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:49 am

I was also looking at the teensy 3.1. It has 256k but don't know if it would work with out a bunch of work I'm not ready for.
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:27 am

Ok ive had something kinda of bothering me and i could use one of your explanations.

We were talking on another thread and i had mentioned it would be cheaper to use binary for sprites but i think you said hex was actually cheaper.

How exactly does that work with all the hex string code taking up so much space.

Is it storing the bitmaps at their actual size? So if i made a bitmap that was 325 bytes but to encode is a bunch string, will it stire the bitmap as a bunch of string or actual size?
Duhjoker

Postby Sorunome » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:45 am

Duhjoker wrote:Ok ive had something kinda of bothering me and i could use one of your explanations.

We were talking on another thread and i had mentioned it would be cheaper to use binary for sprites but i think you said hex was actually cheaper.

How exactly does that work with all the hex string code taking up so much space.

Is it storing the bitmaps at their actual size? So if i made a bitmap that was 325 bytes but to encode is a bunch string, will it stire the bitmap as a bunch of string or actual size?

For the compiled program it is exactly the same if you use binary, decimal or hexadecimal. It is only more compressed to look at in the source if you use hex.
Sorunome

Postby nuts4ever » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:53 pm

I think we need better res too...
nuts4ever

Next

Return to Hardware Gallery