Switch to full style
Show us your Gamebuino clone or the last module you made.
Post a reply

Gamebuino Advanced prototype has been built

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 am

Here is the source code............

https://github.com/Duhjoker/GameRIot_ESP

https://github.com/Duhjoker/GameRIot-master_gaming

I update libraries consistently.

Ive been away for a lil bit and decided to work on finishing my hardware prototype. The code is fine but skills need work and some reviewing.

I went through a few different designs fir the case. I started with a flodibg case but was a nightmare so i decided on a hex shape. The shoulders are at the top chamfers. I also used some advanced techniques found in professional plastic toys and game controllers. So what i did was recessed all the buttons where they were flush with the case on the inside. I did the same with the screen but not flush. This was excellent in controlling the profile thickness as i was able to also insulate and glue the battery directly to the screen.

Theres plenty of room for more processor too. Whether it be a teensy 3.2 to a 3.6 layed side ways in the case as seen in the. Im having some trouble right now getting the screen working again but i will post more pics and a video soon

im actually thinking of going ESP which will also fit nice and with 4mbits flash and 16more can be adeed it should alleviate the need for an sd card for now. Plus its faster and has wifi and blue tooth. IOT baby. I hear theres away to add emulators for NES so thats a plus and gives extra playabilty.

All it needs now though is a back. And some artistic wiring. If any body wants a case to make thier own, i can print it for you.
Last edited by Duhjoker on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Gamebuino Advanced prototype has been built

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:51 am

Hey there Duhjoker! :D

I have wanted to build something similar for a while now, but I wasn't sure if the gaming experience would be smooth (maximum SPI speed on Arduino on ST7735 allows for only around 10 - 20 frames per second updates). Does the library work fast in enough for games? Please keep me updated as I want to build this.

Thanks in advance,
Awesome101

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:11 am

I could possibly use an external I2C SRAM module that stores a tile buffer or something. I could also use the parallel interface, but so far nobody has written a library uses the 8-bit parallel interface. The Atmega328P only has 6 pins on PORTB anyway so I would have to use another two pins from PORTD. The main reason I don't want to use a Teensy is because it is difficult to write a bootloader that can load hex files off of the SD card. To achieve something like 50 FPS @ 160x128 on Atmega328P,however, would require me around 7 cycles to load a byte from memory and write the byte to the display on SPI, which is extremely difficult. And that is without any game logic or other processing.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:37 am

I was gonna do an mcufriend version but all the extra wiring would take up more space and more time. Now the library does not use DMA but Kurts spin library takes care of that and adds a buffer. The difference is pretty awesome.

Of course you dont have to use a teensy there are also ESP boards which are a shy bit bigger but worth the $25. Im actually working on a esp32 version for added iot programming plus the 4mb onboard progmem is awesome. And dont forget about the nes emu!!!

A boot loader is much needed though.

Also the library covers your st7735 and most of the 340x220 screens on the market.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:50 am

Here is the library with a basic setup sketch demo moving the player direction with the dpad and abxy.

Edit: one of the features of the esp32 you might like is that it has two cores. you could have one core doing one thing and the other doing something else.
Last edited by Duhjoker on Sun May 07, 2017 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:55 am

Thanks! I will look into the code. I haven't seen how to run a ST7735 display, so this may take a while to understand for me.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 am

I will probably use a Teensy 3.2. Using an Atmega328P is extremely difficult anyway.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:22 am

If you want to use teensy3.2 look at the ili9341 screen on their store and it has the exact pin out. its like 9 total wires.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Ok I ordered the Teensy

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 pm

What size is the st7735 TFT?
Post a reply