"Faux"-buino

Show us your Gamebuino clone or the last module you made.

"Faux"-buino

Postby Myndale » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:20 am

Just thought I'd share a picture of the bread-board circuit I use for Gamebuino dev:

VvxGgz1.jpg
VvxGgz1.jpg (576.78 KiB) Viewed 8206 times

I haven't bread-boarded the whole circuit of course...just the display, buttons, SD card and speaker. Still, it only took an hour or so to put together and it'll keep me going until the proper hardware arrives.

The image on the LCD is one of the ones adekto posted to the "adventures in game design" thread. The LCD in the upper left hand corner isn't used for display, it's only there for the SD card socket on the side.
Myndale

Re: "Faux"-buino

Postby Xadiant » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:06 am

I have something similar going too, but im too cheap for the push buttons so Im using serial commands instead.

Can't wait for the indigogo boards to start heading out.
Xadiant

Postby adekto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:11 am

lol thats amazing
looks like my stuff is catching on, better get a © on those images :p jk

just a question, is that image a bmp or did u convert it to somthing?
adekto

Postby Myndale » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:22 am

I just saved the image you posted and wrote a little app to convert it to code, I'll be happy to post it here once rodot finalizes the image format. The actual code to draw it is pretty straightforward and was only a test:

Code: Select all
prog_char data[] PROGMEM = {
0xFF,0x12,0x45,0x0B,0x37,0x2F ...etc...
};

for (int i=0; i<84*48/8; i++)
    LcdWrite (1, pgm_read_byte_near(data + i));
Myndale

Postby rodot » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13 am

Hahaha you made your display work! Congrats! I'll ship your Gamebuino on Tuesday (post office closed until then).
Ok, it seems that I really have come come with something quickly about the sprites... ok, it's the first priority now.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Myndale » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Awesome, can't wait! :)

My priority this week will be finalizing the boot-loader to your liking so I can get on with making games.
Myndale

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41 am

Myndale wrote:Awesome, can't wait! :)

My priority this week will be finalizing the boot-loader to your liking so I can get on with making games.

I just hope that it is good. Not trying to make you mad, it's just that I haven't seen your work.
Skyrunner65

Postby adekto » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Skyrunner65 wrote:
Myndale wrote:Awesome, can't wait! :)

I just hope that it is good. Not trying to make you mad, it's just that I haven't seen your work.

u havent? i see his work all the time sd card boot-loader video
u will see his stuff every time u turn on ur gamebuino and u wont even know, its magic :lol:
adekto

Postby albertinjo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Hello

I tried to do the same thing with my arduino nano, the screen works but it is flickering. I am connecting my screen to a 3.3v pin on arduino, and I use 220 ohm resistors for the data lines (because nano is a 5v arduino board). Please help me, should I buy a new screen, or something is wrong with my connection. Can you tell me how you did it.

Thanks!
albertinjo

Postby Myndale » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:44 am

Personally I run it at 5V and I tie the data pins directly to the Arduino. I know it's supposed to run at 3.3V but I checked the board specs and it was rated at a maximum of 5V so I tried it and it's been running fine. I know you can permanently damage your screen if you set Vop to too high a value but according to the data sheet it's not dangerous until you start running the board at around 8V.

It's probably very dependent on the specific break-out board your uses, so dont' blame me if you bork your board, but I'd check the datasheets from the supplier you bought it off to see what it can manage.
Myndale

Next

Return to Hardware Gallery