Miniboi prototype 2

Show us your Gamebuino clone or the last module you made.

Miniboi prototype 2

Postby jonnection » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Going for classic Gameboy look.
jonnection

Re: Miniboi prototype 2

Postby treflip » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:36 pm

That's sweet!!!!
Do you have a 3d printer?
treflip

Postby Drakker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Nice! Does it have an SD card slot? Can it use the Gamebuino libraries?
Drakker

Postby jonnection » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:05 am

@Treflip: No, but I have a 3D printer at work
@Drakker: The SD card is in there, below the screen... but I forgot to put the hole on the side(!) Yes, it can use the Gamebuino libraries. The Gamebuino is an Arduino with a screen and SD card, its quite easy to make your own. Battery is still missing, because my LiPo cells got stuck in China post (they are very careful nowadays with shipping LiPo).

This project started so that I began building 2 copies for my 2 boys. And since I grew up with the "original" portrait-style Gameboy, that's where my heart is :) I've also tried this with 3xAAA batteries, and I can fit them in, and I am still considering it. Only problem is that I haven't found a suitable holder for AAA batteries yet.

This is still through-hole components on a perfboard, and a real pain to solder and get to fit in such a small space.
jonnection

Postby rodot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 am

That's a really clean enclosure, and I'm surprised you managed to fit all the components in there using a proto board... it must be a real mess in there, I now what I'm talking about haha
I hope to play your games soon :)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby jonnection » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:33 pm

rodot wrote:That's a really clean enclosure, and I'm surprised you managed to fit all the components in there using a proto board... it must be a real mess in there, I now what I'm talking about haha
I hope to play your games soon :)

Yes, I know you know... its a big mess, and figuring out the layout and construction was much more complicated than the electronics. You have done an outstanding job with the mechanical design on the Gamebuino.

Rodot: this is what I was talking about on my other thread about what-if Gamebuino clones. This could be turned into a bunch of DIY kits with a bit of work. As you can see from this prototype, this is not an issue of add-on modules. Its an issue of different thinking around the same core concept, much as the Arduino Nano vs. Arduino Uno. I honestly think you ought to give some thought to creating the possibility for Rodot-authorized clones. It could actually become an advantage to the Gamebuino community. Just set the price and rules for using the Gamebuino name and bam ! ... you make millions ! :lol:

As for the games, I am working on something pretty neat. But don't want to show it until I know for sure it works.
jonnection

Postby treflip » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:39 pm

I grew up w/ GB too... This looks fun!

I've been considering getting a small 3d printer but haven't decided if it's worth it yet. I need to see more examples!

p.s. good job on the buttons, now that I think about how you have to line up the button pad on top with the actual button (unless they are one piece?), plus direction pad and holes in cover to fit in...and much more too!
treflip

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Very well done! I'm impressed!
DFX2KX

Return to Hardware Gallery