A2K, a 2048-clone

Share your games and programs with the community.

A2K, a 2048-clone

Postby carlosmari » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:02 am

Hello all,

I am posting a game I wrote over the week: "A2K" a 2048-clone

It's a trivial version of the well-known puzzle game, where you have to "fuse" tiles to get to the magical tile of 2048.

Since I am pressed for screen real-estate (who isn't? it's part of the challenge) I decided to use letters instead of "power-of-2 numbers" to label the tiles, but the promotion rules are similar: A + A = B, B + B = C, and so on... until you reach "K".

There are two variations to the standard set of rules and behaviours of 2048:

- rows / columns are calculated and promoted in "one move" - for example if you have A, A, A, A in the same row / column, the result of fusing them will be "C". In a traditional version of 2048 this row evaluates firstly to "B, B" - and in the next move you could promote to "C". This has serious implications: the game is much faster to play, but some combinations will seem "odd" or "too good, too soon".

- the game will finish when the board is full -regardless of whether there is similar tiles next to each other. This looks like a serious problem, but I decided to leave this in to compensate for the faster gameplay afforded by the "tile promotion rule" above.

CONTROLS:

The four directional buttons slide the tiles in the chosen direction.
"B" button resets the game.
"C" button goes to LOADER.HEX

VERSION:

The release version is A2K_1.0b.zip --- This is a stable beta, but will not be maintained or updated in the future - I have other projects, and A2K is trivial enough that anyone is encouraged to look at the puny source code and change it as much as they want. Just be nice and read the licence.
carlosmari

Return to Games Gallery