Bandai LCD game

Share your games and programs with the community.

Bandai LCD game

Postby NicK » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:27 pm

I've finally finished my remake of the Bandai LCD game Dr. Dental.

It's a rather strange premise - basically there is a poor kid who is being attached by tooth decay bugs! Dr Dental is there to make sure it doesn't all get out of hand.

Object is to gas the bugs to death before they can decay the teeth too much. There are small bugs to just get in the way.

I'm happy with the game as is - although I haven't really implemented much sounds which is disappointing. That will eventually happen.

Let me know how you like it.

All credit to Bandai for the original theme and characters - Although instead of Dr Dental actually appearing in this game it is the main character from the Nintendo Game and Watch game Oil Attack.

Code is included but it is in NO way an example of how to write code!!

All the Best,

Nick
Attachments
DOCDENT.jpg
DOCDENT.jpg (14.45 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
DDENT2.jpg
DDENT2.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
DOCDENTALR1_a.zip
(95.79 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
NicK

Re: Bandai LCD game

Postby Jamish » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:18 am

Hah! I like the screen scrolling at the beginning and when you lose a life.

But I never beat Level 1 :(. My fingers started to hurt before that. I got, like 360 points and I was still on Level 1. Unless it's like Game & Watch where there's a level every couple hundred points and you gain a life back?
Jamish

Postby NicK » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:27 am

Sorry! You should be able to get to level 2 easy enough - after that maybe not.

The game speeds up as you kill the bugs - but each bug is killed with one hit. On the next levels you need to hit the bugs more time.

Hopefully it's not too repetitive. I think it would probably add to the fun to put in bonus levels between the actual levels. Those could be a little more freeform than the LCD mimic game.

The original Dr. Dental kept me busy for hours. That was back in 1985 though......
NicK

Postby Jamish » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm

I think it's in the nature of LCD games to be repetitive. My nostalgia is much greater for G&W games, and I'd play those for a long time ;)

I think it needs a better sense of progress. I'm not sure... I never played the original, so I can't say if yours is lacking anything (side note, did the bug move that spazzy in the original?). I just remember in G&W games, every 200 points, the game slows down a little bit, gives you an extra life, and plays a tune. Then it proceeds to get even harder than before after a while.

Don't get me wrong. Your game has fun and impressive cinematics with the intro and loosing-life cinematics. It controls well. And I'm a big fan of LCD games. The Gamebuino needs a lot of them! So, good job :D
Jamish

Postby Marcus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:03 pm

Great to see another LCD Game remake :-) Keep up the good work.
Marcus

Postby NicK » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:50 am

Check out the original here in all it's spazziness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YnvZGlk_Mg

I agree on the progression through the game - it's a bit one dimensional.

It's just the beginning though. I think I'll try to develop a few different but simple games and then go back and improve on them later.

1254 points to beat!
NicK

Return to Games Gallery