My WIP snake game

Share your games and programs with the community.

Re: My WIP snake game

Postby Marcus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Just random ideas. :-) I have thought it may be a bonus item which allows one snake to eat the other for a short time period;

To eat one from the tail side, the predator would need to be faster.
This could be achieved by different speed items, or depending on how much the snake has eaten.

In order to eat a snake head-on the other player would have to be trapped or really stupid ;-) So normally this case would be unlikely. It would be a good way to force another player into a different direction.

It's your game, I was just doodling :-) If you find something interesting, use it, if not, consider it as random crazzy idea :-)
)
Marcus

Postby REGFly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:10 pm

OK it's settled i'll use your sketches and ideas :D . So i'll just write somethings i'll need and the things we should add and we'll agree on the stuff here. Maybe you'll think up some stuff too :D
So i'll need:
*Leave the ORM logo, just without the snakes I'll try to animate it in-game ( But the snakes will look abit more blocky then )
* Make a 3*3 snake body, a 3*3 snakes body doing 90 degree turn. no need for every direction i'll flip it.
* Make 3*3 snake tail.
* The head could be as small as 3*3 but could expand to 6*6 or you could just do a 6*6 head. Do as you do.
* Make a 6*6 fruit or a rat or something for getting points. I remember seeing you made some, so you're probably done there.
* Make the menu icons, when they're highlighted I'll try to invert them. I don't know how big we should make them. Do it as you want we'll probably make a cycling screen if they're too big. Be sure to add credits :D
* Make your scissors 6*6. When a player gets them, the opponent will become small for 10 seconds. Is that too much?
* Make the coins 6*6 big. Make a - coin and a + coin.

There's probably stuff I missed but could you do it like Quirby64 did for the stick fighter? Every frame spaced from each other and the name of the frame? I think the first thing i'd be doing is the menu.
REGFly

Postby Marcus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:05 pm

3*3 and 6*6 is pretty limiting, mice/rats and even coins are difficult to make recognizable.

Not much time atm, here are the doodles so far;

orm_cII.png
orm_cII.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 5401 times

More to follow :-)
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:54 pm

There should definitely be a hiss-noise when the logo appears :-)

Rough animation,
ormani.gif
ormani.gif (4.78 KiB) Viewed 5401 times

I am not sure about the menu style / items, what needs to be included? A "Snakey" font or plain?

For now I have to call it a day.
Marcus

Postby erico » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:37 am

I´m up for Jerom´s title design ;)
erico

Postby REGFly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:13 am

I liked Jerom's title too but I liked Marcus's more. Sorry...
And Marcus the reason I asked to them that smal is because we need to fit in two snakes. (84 / 6) * (48 / 6) is 112.
So we have 112 windows to work with so theoretically each snake can be 56 windows long, but they would be filling up the whole screen. We also need to add in some items so actually the snakes need to be shorter than that.
We could go bigger but we'd have even less space to work with.
REGFly

Postby REGFly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:14 am

Do the font as you like. The menu should have "Single", "Multi", "Classic", "Settings", "Credits" and "Exit".
REGFly

Postby REGFly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Just finished reworking your animation to fit the gambuino screen. Next time keep in mind the screen is 84*48 pixels, but don't worry it was pretty easy
REGFly

Postby Marcus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Use either Logo :-)

Anyway, I experimented a bit with the text and made a few fonts, but with the limited space it is tricky to make anything organic / snake-like.

orm_4b.png
orm_4b.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 5382 times

Maybe more later, ciao
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:09 pm

It is 84*48 pixels, I just scaled it up to 200% for easier visibility here on the forum. I could have sent you the 100% version. All the pink screen frames are 84*48 pixels.
Should the snakes appear like that or something else? Fade-in, eggs?
what about your in-game solution?
Marcus

PreviousNext

Return to Games Gallery