BigBlackBox is now available!

Share your games and programs with the community.

Re: BigBlackBox

Postby STUDIOCRAFTapps » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:37 am

UPDATE: BBB will come out earlier! There's one map and the ending cinematic (cut scene) to do left! Almost done, prepare your GAMEBUINO! :P
I'm working on: BigBlackBox & ConsoleBlock
User avatar
STUDIOCRAFTapps
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:58 pm
Location: Deep in the web

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby STUDIOCRAFTapps » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 am

Let'me know what do you think of this game!
I'm working on: BigBlackBox & ConsoleBlock
User avatar
STUDIOCRAFTapps
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:58 pm
Location: Deep in the web

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby erico » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:06 am

sure shot!
User avatar
erico
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby wuuff » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:51 pm

The game is fun and has a really interesting and nice aesthetic. The levels feel a little strange, like the pieces that are put together are placed sort of haphazardly, but I think that's an interesting design decision and not a problem. I find the small bounce that the player does when falling from a high height a bit annoying because it prevents quick jumps after landing (and results some frustrating deaths), but it provides a challenge and I think that's another justifiable design decision.

The game is pretty hard, but since it isn't super long, that might be fine. I haven't made it past the fourth level, though. It's very frustrating to play because it requires a lot of precision and sometimes movement feels a little finicky. The game is really cool, and I think people willing to put the time in to master the levels will have a lot of fun. I'm sure I'll keep retrying the levels until I can beat them. However, it maybe feels a little more unfair than it needs to.

If I go off the top of the level in level 3, it shows the game's ending cutscene, which seems like a weird bug.
wuuff
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:05 am

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby STUDIOCRAFTapps » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:19 pm

wuuff wrote:The game is fun and has a really interesting and nice aesthetic. The levels feel a little strange, like the pieces that are put together are placed sort of haphazardly, but I think that's an interesting design decision and not a problem.


The levels seem strage, it's normal because the city is a big mess... :|

wuuff wrote:I find the small bounce that the player does when falling from a high height a bit annoying because it prevents quick jumps after landing (and results some frustrating deaths), but it provides a challenge and I think that's another justifiable design decision.


Ha ha ha! :lol: I put this game mechanic because the physic engine allow the player to pass into the ground and the player got stuck sometimes when it fall. I fix this bug by pushing the player upward, and when the velocity go up, it propels the player aup nd the gravity affect the player and the velocity go down... It's hard to understand (and i'm not very good to explain things in English) but this mechanic fix a glitch.

wuuff wrote:The game is pretty hard, but since it isn't super long, that might be fine. I haven't made it past the fourth level, though. It's very frustrating to play because it requires a lot of precision and sometimes movement feels a little finicky. The game is really cool, and I think people willing to put the time in to master the levels will have a lot of fun. I'm sure I'll keep retrying the levels until I can beat them. However, it maybe feels a little more unfair than it needs to.
I became better and better before creating the first level, while i was working on This is why the difficulty curve is very weird and that the last level we need to perform trick such as "retrieve wall jump"(Wall jump and stop pressing the arrows for climbing walls) and "extreme wall prupulsion"(Swipe very fast on the other side for max propulsion after wall jumping). It seem unfair but the hole game is possible

wuuff wrote:If I go off the top of the level in level 3, it shows the game's ending cutscene, which seems like a weird bug.

Oups... 'forgot to fix this bug. When you go out of the level, the game don't know what collider (for exemple key, full block, trampoline...) to use. That's why the game shows the game eding cutscene: the game randomly choose to use the final curing potion's collider...
I'm working on: BigBlackBox & ConsoleBlock
User avatar
STUDIOCRAFTapps
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:58 pm
Location: Deep in the web

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby jonnection » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Important message to the author of this game:

You have a bad programming habit that is going to get you into alot of trouble.

Code: Select all
for(int yd; yd < 8; yd++) { //yd = Y Down
          ColY[yd] = PixelInCollider((-(floor((PPosX - 3 + yd) / 8.0))) , (-(floor((PPosY - 4 + 0) / 8.0))) , -(-(PPosX - 3/*e3*/ + yd) - (-(floor((PPosX - 3/*e3*/ + yd) / 8.0)))*8) , -(-(PPosY - 4/*e4*/ + 0) - (-(floor((PPosY - 4/*e4*/ + 0) / 8.0)))*8));
        }


You are declaring local variables (int yd; yd < 8; yd++) <-- in this case yd and then using them without giving them an initial value.

The proper way is --> for(int yd=0; yd < 8; yd++)

This is because in some C/C++ compilers, the value of yd is indetermined. You are assuming it is zero, and probably in Arduino it is, but in all other C compilers the initial value of yd can be anything. And your code will break. I discovered this playing BBB on the Pokitto.

EDIT: the reason why I call it a "bad programming habit" is because the compiler will not complain, but your code will not work properly. It is the worst kind of bug to have in a program. And you have indetermined local variable all over your code. Be aware that what happens with such variables is completely random on some C/C++compilers.

Here's a link that explains it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1597 ... ve-a-value

Otherwise a really nice game! like the style very much.
User avatar
jonnection
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby STUDIOCRAFTapps » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 pm

jonnection wrote:Important message to the author of this game:

You have a bad programming habit that is going to get you into alot of trouble.

Code: Select all
for(int yd; yd < 8; yd++) { //yd = Y Down
          ColY[yd] = PixelInCollider((-(floor((PPosX - 3 + yd) / 8.0))) , (-(floor((PPosY - 4 + 0) / 8.0))) , -(-(PPosX - 3/*e3*/ + yd) - (-(floor((PPosX - 3/*e3*/ + yd) / 8.0)))*8) , -(-(PPosY - 4/*e4*/ + 0) - (-(floor((PPosY - 4/*e4*/ + 0) / 8.0)))*8));
        }


You are declaring local variables (int yd; yd < 8; yd++) <-- in this case yd and then using them without giving them an initial value.

The proper way is --> for(int yd=0; yd < 8; yd++)

This is because in some C/C++ compilers, the value of yd is indetermined. You are assuming it is zero, and probably in Arduino it is, but in all other C compilers the initial value of yd can be anything. And your code will break. I discovered this playing BBB on the Pokitto.

EDIT: the reason why I call it a "bad programming habit" is because the compiler will not complain, but your code will not work properly. It is the worst kind of bug to have in a program. And you have indetermined local variable all over your code. Be aware that what happens with such variables is completely random on some C/C++compilers.

Here's a link that explains it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1597 ... ve-a-value

Otherwise a really nice game! like the style very much.


Oops! I did not even notice. I'm a C# developer with unity and the compiler used in this software aware me.

I took a small break from Gamebuino to go to work on my other game but I'm sure I'll come back quickly because I find the Gamebuino community is too inactive. We should attract more people to come and enrich this community.
I'm working on: BigBlackBox & ConsoleBlock
User avatar
STUDIOCRAFTapps
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:58 pm
Location: Deep in the web

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby Sorunome » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:06 pm

I just tried this game and it is quite fun!

However, I found it a bit slow so i pushed the framerate from 20FPS to 30FPS and it is even more enjoyable now IMO ^.^

EDIT: bug report!

In the third level, the one where the keys are introduced, you can finish the level in a shortcut: On the rightmost key you jump up the shaft, stand (outside of the screen) on that right pillar thing and then jump in an up/right-ish direction and then it'll say you passed the level and it'll unlock the next level

EDIT2: Stuff like this probably isn't supposed to happen, either.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRJ2vbAwSfk it is helpful, though! :3
Random stuff I make: https://www.sorunome.de
Also you just lost THE GAME
Keep calm and fox on!
User avatar
Sorunome
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby STUDIOCRAFTapps » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 pm

Sorunome wrote:I just tried this game and it is quite fun!

However, I found it a bit slow so i pushed the framerate from 20FPS to 30FPS and it is even more enjoyable now IMO ^.^

EDIT: bug report!

In the third level, the one where the keys are introduced, you can finish the level in a shortcut: On the rightmost key you jump up the shaft, stand (outside of the screen) on that right pillar thing and then jump in an up/right-ish direction and then it'll say you passed the level and it'll unlock the next level

EDIT2: Stuff like this probably isn't supposed to happen, either.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRJ2vbAwSfk it is helpful, though! :3


I won't fix that bug... Because i like to glitch-out in game. You remember the minus level in SMB? It's so fun to discover new things that are not supposed to happen!
I'm working on: BigBlackBox & ConsoleBlock
User avatar
STUDIOCRAFTapps
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:58 pm
Location: Deep in the web

Re: BigBlackBox is now available!

Postby Sorunome » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 pm

STUDIOCRAFTapps wrote:
Sorunome wrote:I just tried this game and it is quite fun!

However, I found it a bit slow so i pushed the framerate from 20FPS to 30FPS and it is even more enjoyable now IMO ^.^

EDIT: bug report!

In the third level, the one where the keys are introduced, you can finish the level in a shortcut: On the rightmost key you jump up the shaft, stand (outside of the screen) on that right pillar thing and then jump in an up/right-ish direction and then it'll say you passed the level and it'll unlock the next level

EDIT2: Stuff like this probably isn't supposed to happen, either.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRJ2vbAwSfk it is helpful, though! :3


I won't fix that bug... Because i like to glitch-out in game. You remember the minus level in SMB? It's so fun to discover new things that are not supposed to happen!

Hm, true, as long as you don't put them in on purpose.... *ehem* goat simulator *ehem*
Random stuff I make: https://www.sorunome.de
Also you just lost THE GAME
Keep calm and fox on!
User avatar
Sorunome
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Previous

Return to Games Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron