Old RPG prototype

Share your games and programs with the community.

Old RPG prototype

Postby wuuff » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:06 am

This is an old RPG prototype that I started making back in summer 2016. I think it was the first original game I tried to make for the Gamebuino, after I ported an old Gamby/TVout game to the Gamebuino to get familiar with the platform.

I wanted to make a simple turn-based RPG, and I managed to finish a rough prototype of that before I moved on to other projects. I had hit some design challenges where I couldn't decide how I wanted to proceed with some details of the game design and set it aside. I have been thinking about it recently and wanted to share what I had finished.

The last edit I made to this was August 9, 2016, and I'm not sure I'll ever finish this, but recently I worked on another project that inspired me a bit, so I'm on the fence about continuing work on it. I already had a broad idea for the plot and world, but there's not much of that in the prototype.

tower-0.png
tower-0.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 11641 times

This is an area at the south part of the map. The water tiles are animated. The encounter rate is really high, so you'll encounter a lot of enemies trying to get down there, but you can leave a battle with B (this was put in for debug purposes).

tower-1.png
tower-1.png (4.02 KiB) Viewed 11641 times

Only the FLAIL, ITEM, and RUN options work right now (the last two can be found by selecting OTHER). There are infinite FRUIT and BREAD items. There's a speed system, and rats have a high attack speed, allowing them to attack more frequently than other enemies. The numbers on the left are for debugging.
Attachments
TOWER.zip
(18.84 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
wuuff

Re: Old RPG prototype

Postby Awot » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:02 am

Very nice !! (but there is a lot of monster encounters in your game :) )

i share a gif of this game here :
TOWER.gif
TOWER.gif (122.13 KiB) Viewed 11628 times

i am looking for a RPG code to adapt for a gamebuino game.
could you share your ino file / code ?

(i would like to make an RPG/adventure game with no fights, but only life choices.)

thanks
Awot

Postby frakasss » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 am

Hi Awot,
I also made a kind of rpg poc few month ago: http://gamebuino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3327
I only developed the 'basis'. Your character, moving on a map, and going into houses.

Feel free to use it if you need :-)
frakasss

Postby wuuff » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Sorry for the late reply to this!

@Awot, thanks for the animated gif. The battles happen all the time because I left the chance of having a battle very high when I was testing battles, and I never changed it back. The code is kind of messy and I'm not really happy releasing it just yet. I do hope to eventually release it, but I may try to make an actual game out of it and clean up the code first.

If you want to make an rpg without any battles, then I don't think what I've written for this project will help much. I haven't implemented a dialogue system for it, or much of anything except the battle system and walking around. Probably what @frakasss made would be more useful.
wuuff

Return to Games Gallery