Shot Zero

Share your games and programs with the community.

Shot Zero

Postby Linky439 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 pm

Developer: Linky439
Release: June 27, 2017
Genre: Action
Platform: Gamebuino

Plot:
You are the special agent "U". Your mission? Stop the terrible war machine named the Explosive Death Machine (EDM).
But it won't be easy: you will have to go through a warehouse full of armed guards to reach it.

Gameplay:
Your healthbar (the hearts) is on the left. You can see your current weapon and its ammunition on the right. There are three weapons in the game!
Move around and shoot down the enemies. You can go to the next room by stepping on the "EXIT" signs.

The enemies sometimes drop items. Pick them up to recover some health or ammunition!

Press B to switch weapons!

DOWNLOAD LINK

Unzip the .zip archive to uncover 4 things:
-the .HEX file.
-the .INF file.
-the README.txt file.
-The Simbuino emulator.

Notes:
The game is rather short and simple, but it is my first Gamebuino game and I wanted to get familiar with the console :)
There are two unlockable achievments, will you find them?

I haven't got the opportunity to try the game on the console, so I hope it isn't working only on Simbuino!
Have fun playing Shot Zero :)
Last edited by Linky439 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linky439

Re: Shot Zero

Postby wuuff » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 pm

I can confirm that it works great on a physical Gamebuino. The game didn't seem to show up until I capitalized the .hex extension on the game, and the .INF displays the name "Game Name" instead of "Shot Zero" in the game loader. All the images and the game icon worked perfectly though.

The game is pretty fun. I think I beat the game, but I never encountered any achievements. The final screen said that the mission duration was 333.00s. Here are a few thoughts about the game:
  • I encountered what seemed like a bug where enemies could shoot me through walls.
  • I like how enemies drop random weapons and health, and I like that there are multiple weapon options with different damage and ammo.
  • It's really hard to see bullets since they are so small and fast. On the Gamebuino screen they are practically invisible.
  • Since you hold the gun on the right side of your character, you have to expose your character completely if you're coming out from behind a wall from the left. I guess that's a design decision, but sometimes the AI stands in such a way that you can be facing each other and both of your guns are missing each other, resulting in a standoff where the enemy and player stand face-to-face but miss each other until the player moves.
  • I think it would be nice if there was an indicator of which level you're on, even if it's just a popup message at the start of each level.

Overall, I would say this is really solid for a first game and a nice addition to the Gamebuino library. Thumbs up.
wuuff

Postby Linky439 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Oh, I'll have to check why the .INF displays the wrong name. I probably forgot to change the name while using the Inf encoder available in the download section.

Yeah, the achievements aren't clearly mentionned in the game. I think it would be better if I had a description in the README file.
These are the following: finish the game in less than 2 minutes (but it's probably a bit too hard, I'd have to double check that) and finish the game by using only the pistol.
As for your thoughts:
  • It is strange that enemies could shoot you through walls. But I did encounter a similar glitch at one point (I could shoot through walls as well and the enemies weren't harmed by my bullets), that disappeared by recompiling the HEX file... Strange!
  • Damn, the bullets are hard to see on a real screen :( I didn't think of that problem since I used an emulator the whole time... I could make the bullet a bit larger, but I'm not sure it would fit the current level design.
  • Yes, you can face an enemy and both of you miss. But I thought it was better to keep the gun on one hand only instead of having someone carrying his weapon centered on its body.
  • I didn't think about adding a little pop-up to tell you the level number. That's a good idea, I'll probably add it :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed playing this little game :) It could have been longer with a random creation of levels, but I wanted to start with a pretty basic title to make myself familiar with the limitations (especially in memory) of the console.
Linky439

Postby wuuff » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:57 am

I just managed to get the first achievement (98.00s), but it seems like the game doesn't save the achievements. It seems like you may be saving something to EEPROM because the loader shows there is a save for the game, but no achievements show up after restarting.

I would say the second achievement seems harder than the first one, because enemies take off a lot of my health in later levels when I am using any weapon other than the third one. They manage to get a few shots in before I can defeat them.
wuuff

Postby Linky439 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:06 am

Strange that the saves disappear...
I'll check that later, but I think I do the following :
Code: Select all
//Beginning of the game
suc_speed = EEPROM.read(0)
// ...
// Game completed
if (time<=120)
{
 EEPROM.update(0,1)
}

So when you restart the game, the variable suc_speed should see that you successfully completed the game under the 2 minute mark, and it should be displayed on the title screen (instead of the "???" written above the logo).
I might add a pop-up to tell the player he got an achievement though.

Yes, the second one is harder, because the shotgun allows you to quickly blast your way through the rooms. It is possible, but you might need to be a bit lucky with the enemies' item drop to recover some health.
Linky439

Postby Linky439 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:45 pm

I've updated the download link in the first post, with two issues solved :
  • I forgot to delete the reinitialization of the EEPROM values, resulting in the game reseting the achievement to locked => solved.
  • Added a pop-up to tell you when you unlocked an new achivement.
Linky439

Postby Sorunome » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:52 am

If you feel it is ready you should post this game to the Games Gallery!
This is looking awesome! :D
Sorunome

Postby Linky439 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Well I'd love to, but I have no idea how x)
Linky439

Postby Sorunome » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 am

Just edit the wiki page and add your game in, you can see plenty examples on how to do that from all the other games once you edit it :)
Sorunome

Postby Linky439 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks! I'll try to do that in the next few days :)

EDIT: Did it yesterday! :) I've also fixed a glitch that could make you skip the title screen if the EEPROM memory wasn't initialized.
Linky439

Return to Games Gallery