FireBuino! (Game&Watch port)

Share your games and programs with the community.

Re: FireBuino! (Game&Watch port)

Postby ladbsoft » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:05 am

erico wrote:Here, it is so full of colors! :D
FOTO.jpg

Wow, is that an rgb mod? Or is the gamebuino like that? I have a makerbuino :)
ladbsoft

Postby erico » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 am

It is the Gamebuino in the dark. The colors are pushed by the phone camera...

The gray flicking is invisible when playing in the dark.
While it is visible when playing against the sun, the parts that flick most are the single pixel grays, specially since they are a flicking grid.
It could be easier to fix it by removing the dithered gray single pixels.
erico

Postby wuuff » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 pm

Nice game! I was impressed by the grey, which works great on the Gamebuino screen. At first I thought the new graphics were a little busy, with too much happening in the background, but on the actual hardware it's not a problem. I also like how you kept both versions of the graphics.

I like how the game is very generous about whether you bounced a person. It seems like as long as you touch the person at their lowest point briefly then they will bounce. Is that how it was on the original?

You should also save a highscore table in eeprom. Leaderboards are always fun.
wuuff

Postby erico » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:58 am

On the movement, I have to agree on the player´s collision.
Such gives a wide time space to hit back, that sure is an element to think about.
I´m trying to devise a realtime version for a jam compo....but who knows.
erico

Postby ladbsoft » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 pm

erico wrote:It is the Gamebuino in the dark. The colors are pushed by the phone camera...

Ooops, my bad :D

erico wrote:The gray flicking is invisible when playing in the dark.

That's interesting. My makerbuino makes it even more noticeable in the dark instead. With the light of the sun (no backlight), the flickering is gone. I wonder if it has to do with every nokia lcd or if gamebuino and makerbuino are different in any display technical aspect.

wuuff wrote:Nice game! ... I also like how you kept both versions of the graphics.

Hehehe, it was a pain setting every bitmap in the right spot, so I was not going to lose that effort :D. Also, I think it is "retro" :D

wuuff wrote:I like how the game is very generous about whether you bounced a person. It seems like as long as you touch the person at their lowest point briefly then they will bounce. Is that how it was on the original?

As far as I remember, it was the same in the original, but I could be wrong. It's been a lot of years since I don't play it.

wuuff wrote:You should also save a highscore table in eeprom. Leaderboards are always fun.

Nice idea, I'll have it in mind for the near future :)
ladbsoft

Postby erico » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:33 pm

About the collision, yep, It is perfectly as the original was.
One experimented with many other game & watch games that would sport the same collision method, like the Parachute game or Merry Cook.
Your sound is, as standard, muted. On your intro screen, you can set the volume higher but I would leave it in the middle as standard, not muted.

I used to own Octopus and Donkey Kong jr. but we exchanged games a lot in school so I played many of them.
Here, as you may already know, are some of those simulated:
http://www.pica-pic.com/#

Cheers.
erico

Postby ladbsoft » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:44 pm

erico wrote:Your sound is, as standard, muted. On your intro screen, you can set the volume higher but I would leave it in the middle as standard, not muted.

That's strange. I didn't put the sound to mute as default. On my makerbuino, the default seems to be 6 (from one mute and 8 levels of sound).

erico wrote:Here, as you may already know, are some of those simulated:
http://www.pica-pic.com/#

I have found some pages by the years, but I think I didn't know that one. Thanks, will play a bit :)
ladbsoft

Postby erico » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Just re tested. The game runs on mute as standard...now I wonder if my gamebuino is really up to date, will check that out.

About the grey, currently, it is achieved by flicking a checkboard instead of full black.
That makes the grey quite stable on my screen, either under sun or at night.
I have found out that at nite it is way better and it must be because of the self shadow a black pixel casts on the green background, strongly noticed if you plot a single grey pixel, and that must be because it is not a 1/0/1, but a 1/0/0/0/1.

I haven´t seen a makerbuino yet and don´t know if the backlit works the same way or is positioned at the same place.
On the Gamebuino, at full dark, the leds do not project shadows as strong as an outside source.
erico

Postby Linky439 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:12 am

About the sound, I think the old Gamebuino don't have a proper "volume" function, if I'm not mistaken. Your problem might come from here?

I'll have to test it on my Gamebuino when I get it back in a couple of days.
Your game looks really good, can't wait to try it out ;)
Linky439

Postby ladbsoft » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:56 pm

@erico, I think I figured it out :)

In the settings app, there is an option for changing the default volume (Change settings>Sound>Default volume).

I guess you not noticing other games made the same means you only played mine since you charged your gamebuino. Thanks! :lol:
ladbsoft

PreviousNext

Return to Games Gallery