3D rendering demo

Share your games and programs with the community.

3D rendering demo

Postby Myndale » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:59 am

This is getting a little bit away from the "retro" theme of Gamebuino but if you like seeing how far hardware can be pushed then you may find this interesting:

Not that I'm really pushing the hardware yet. This demo has barely had any optimization, at an educated guess I'd say the CPU is operating somewhere around 10% efficiency for this demo.

As always source code is available on the "Examples" page on the Wiki. Enjoy!
Myndale

Re: 3D rendering demo

Postby adekto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:12 pm

ok thats just amazing, i was wondering if its possible or logical to to textures on the walls?

also what about wireframe full 3D for say battlezone or elite or star wars arcade

also also can we do somthing like or close to doom graphics rendering (hight planes and angles)
adekto

Postby Myndale » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:15 pm

adekto wrote:ok thats just amazing, i was wondering if its possible or logical to to textures on the walls?

also what about wireframe full 3D for say battlezone or elite or star wars arcade

also also can we do somthing like or close to doom graphics rendering (hight planes and angles)

As far as clock cycles go Gamebuino seems more than capable of handling all those examples you mention, the real challenge is going to be figuring out how to render something that graphically looks ok.
Myndale

Postby adekto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:28 pm

i see, wel great to know, hope to see wolf3D style games soon, that Cthulhu's Dungeon from phi can work great for this as an rpg in the vain of Ultima Underworld
adekto

Postby erico » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Super! Great video, awesome test! :)

Myndale wrote:... the real challenge is going to be figuring out how to render something that graphically looks ok.

Count me up ;)
erico

Postby phi » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:49 pm

That looks really awesome! Will take a look at your code right away.
phi

Postby Drakker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Nooooooooooooo... I was planning on doing exactly that as soon as I got my Gamebuino. Well, guess I can just use your code now. ;)

It looks very smooth, how many FPS do you get? Is it possible to use gray in any meaningful way with this very beta engine?
Drakker

Postby Myndale » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Drakker wrote:Nooooooooooooo... I was planning on doing exactly that as soon as I got my Gamebuino. Well, guess I can just use your code now. ;)

Sorry Drakker, I'll leave all the fun stuff from now on :) There's heaps left to do though, I'm curious to hear any ideas on the best way to texture the walls.

Drakker wrote:It looks very smooth, how many FPS do you get? Is it possible to use gray in any meaningful way with this very beta engine?

My screen update interrupt is fixed at 41FPS because that's almost the same at the LCD refresh so it minimizes flicker. My render routine is currently taking two of these though, so my FPS is 20.5. A little optimization will easily get that up to 41 though.

I think grey-scale rendering is absolutely possible, I was tempted to add it to this version but decided to keep the source code as simple as possible. Plus I have to leave something for you! ;)
Myndale

Postby Drakker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Haha, I won't get my hands on my Gamebuino for at least 3 more months, so feel free to hack at this as much as you want, you know, first mover advantage. ;)

In the meantime, I can draw sprites and textures if you want.

With a 84x48 screen, 16x16 textures would make sense, to reduce flickers and screen artifacts we could fake mip mapping with using textures of 16x16, 8x8 and maybe 4x4 depending on the distance it is drawn from. It would use some more memory, but could potentially speed up drawing slightly. Not sure if the increased memory usage will be worth it for the reduced artifacts.

For sprites, a model similar to what I proposed in another thread (0 transparency, 1..3=white..black) would work, but we could have two way to render sprites, where gray is either gray, or the reverse of the background color (to make ghosts, special effects or something).

As with textures, 16x16 seems good for sprites, with a small version of 8x8 to reduce artifacts if possible (though I have my doubts about that).

20.5 fps is probably plenty enough, not sure it is worth going up to 41 fps, the extra CPU time might be useful to say, make monsters not too dumb.
Drakker

Postby rodot » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Wow, that's really awesome! Well done Myndale. I look forward playing your games! :)
Edit: The link is http://gamEbuino.com ;)
Edit: I just tried it on my Gamebuino, that's even better than on the video!
rodot
Site Admin

Next

Return to Games Gallery