3D rendering demo

Share your games and programs with the community.

Re: 3D rendering demo

Postby Skyrunner65 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:45 pm

How many lines of code went into this?
Also, this opens new ideas.
I should have put that statement first. :lol:
Skyrunner65

Postby erico » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Well, next time I come around here Myndale has a minecraft clone going... :D
erico

Postby Myndale » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:24 pm

@Rodot: Oops, thanks! Sorry about the bad URL, it was late and I was tired. All fixed now. And yeah, I made a few simple optimizations after I made the video which sped it up significantly.

@Skyrunner: Source code is on the wiki....550 lines all up.
Myndale

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:42 am

Thank you!
Also, how much RAM and what-not does it use?
Skyrunner65

Postby Myndale » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:04 am

Skyrunner65 wrote:Thank you!
Also, how much RAM and what-not does it use?

I'm using 336 bytes for the w-buffer, 64 bytes for the sprite data and 504 bytes for the back-buffer. But the scene is rendered one column at a time, and the LCD can be switched into a mode that also draws one column at a time, so with a little bit of work you could in fact eliminate the back-buffer altogether and just render directly to the LCD. The w-buffer could also be reduced to a single byte, so you'd probably wind up using only a few hundred bytes in total.
Myndale

Postby rodot » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 am

When I see your programming skills and the drawing skills of people like Adekto, I think that really, really cool stuff is going to appear on Gamebuino. Also, I wonder why am I the guy who created Gamebuino as I'm neither a good artist nor a good programmer :lol:
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Drakker » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:52 pm

You can solder those small connections and design a PCB from scratch. ;)
Drakker

Postby DFX2KX » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:42 pm

That's some impressive work there, Myndale! It looked like you where getting about 20fps (which you seem to have verified) I'm curious, though, where did you look up/learn the math formulas from? I had a book with the formulas and theory, but I lost it some years back.

Now I cant wait to get my unit, it'll be fun trying to learn a bit of C and make something interesting with this. add that to the streaming sound trick you did earlier, and the new bootloader. It'd now be possible to build a pretty sizable 3D game... powered by a micro-controller.
DFX2KX

Postby Myndale » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 pm

DFX2KX wrote:That's some impressive work there, Myndale! It looked like you where getting about 20fps (which you seem to have verified) I'm curious, though, where did you look up/learn the math formulas from?

Thanks DFX2KX! Actually to be honest I derived them from first principles. I spent 16 years as a professional game developer, much of which was spent as a 3D graphics/engine programmer, so I've done this stuff a hundred times before. Sometime around 1994 (I think) when the internet was still in its infancy I collected a series of articles written by myself and others (with their permission) and released them all as "The PC Games Programmers Encycopedia" aka "PCGPE"; it's still archived in various places around the net and covers some of the more basic 3D algorithms. Not sure where the best place for 3D resources is these days I'm afraid, my very first book on 3D programming was called "Advanced Graphics for the Acorn Electron" and was an extremely good introduction despite the fact I didn't actually own an electron. I still own my copy but it was published exactly 30 years ago, it'd probably be very hard to find a PDF anyway.
Myndale

Postby ghostdancer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Impressive , maybe i'm too old but the first thing that came to my mind was this : ZX81 3D Monster Maze but better.
ghostdancer

PreviousNext

Return to Games Gallery