Introducing my Outrunduino project for the Hackvision

Share your games and programs with the community.

Introducing my Outrunduino project for the Hackvision

Postby jonnection » Sun May 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Hello all

First and foremost, Gamebuino looks awesome ! I just ran into it today, looking at Myndale's 3D-demo.

I am heartbroken - nay - devastated by the fact that the kickstarter is over and I have no opportunity to buy one anymore.

Let me explain my motivation for writing this. I've been working about 6 weeks on the Nootropic Design Hackvision. So far I've:

1. ported the TV_out & controller libs to SFML 2.1 so that I can write Arduino-compatible code and develop fully in Code::Blocks. Being able to step through code, watch memory and set breakpoints is the only way to more advanced game development. I don't know if this has been done for the Gamebuino.

2. began a project for a pseudo-3D car game called Outrunduino. I'd be very interested in porting this over to Gamebuino. There is eg: alpha channeled bitmaps, a road algorithm based on only 2 x 40 byte lookup tables, parallax scrolling routines

and

3. began working around the problem of lousy sound effects by writing new tv_out sound routines from scratch to support different waveforms, filters and evelopes. Seeing the Gamebuino has 4 channels I'm like "why am I wasting time with this ?"

(emulated on PC for the purpose of developing the audio routines, Arduino port in progress)

To me it looks like many fundamental issues holding back the Hackvision and Game Shield have been solved in the Gamebuino. I'd love to see this thing become a robust platform for homebrew handheld game development. The Hackvision scene is ... quiet. Gamebuino otoh looks very promising.

So, two thumbs up to the Gamebuino & please do those 1000 pcs of kickstarter Gamebuinos quickly so I can get to order one and start making games on it !
jonnection

Re: Introducing my Outrunduino project for the Hackvision

Postby Drakker » Mon May 05, 2014 1:20 am

I have been following your Outrunduino project for some time. I was wondering if it would be possible to use your engine on the Gamebuino, I would be interested in making a Top Gear style racer for it. Now that you are on board here, I guess it will get done. =)

Great job, it is very impressive so far. Can't wait to see the final product!
Drakker

Postby erico » Mon May 05, 2014 1:50 am

Great projects. The racer looks really awesome!
erico

Postby DFX2KX » Tue May 06, 2014 11:28 am

Impressive work here. I hadn't heard of the Hackvision until today. Though, it looks more or less similar in scope to the Gamebuino. So you shouldn't have any problem porting it over.

I'll also note (if you haven't noticed) That the specs for the 'buino are on the site, so you could make one yourself if you like. Several people have, and I've been considering it myself for something to do while I wait for mine to show up.
DFX2KX

Postby jonnection » Wed May 07, 2014 11:10 am

DFX2KX wrote:I hadn't heard of the Hackvision until today. Though, it looks more or less similar in scope to the Gamebuino. So you shouldn't have any problem porting it over. I'll also note (if you haven't noticed) That the specs for the 'buino are on the site, so you could make one yourself if you like.

Hackvision and the Game Shield are both based on Myles Metzlers TV_ou library. But Gamebuino's SD card bootloader for me is the killer app.

... and as for the home-made Gamebuino, a couple of everything on the BOM is already coming my way from Ebay. But ofcourse, buying a real Gamebuino is the best way to support the project.
jonnection

Postby DFX2KX » Wed May 07, 2014 2:02 pm

jonnection wrote:Hackvision and the Game Shield are both based on Myles Metzlers TV_ou library. But Gamebuino's SD card bootloader for me is the killer app.

... and as for the home-made Gamebuino, a couple of everything on the BOM is already coming my way from Ebay. But ofcourse, buying a real Gamebuino is the best way to support the project.

Agreed, I'm glad I got one. I'd try to build my own, but I can't solder worth a spit.:D And the SD feature is quite unique in function to the Gamebuino, at least to what I've seen so far.
DFX2KX

Postby jonnection » Wed May 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Getting closer to the Gamebuino every day.

This is a kind of a preview, running in 80x48 resolution.

There are lots of things to sort out still. I was working on a fast cropping routine for a bitshifted and masked bitmap... as you can see right side cropping is not yet ready.

The opponen car is sitting a set distance in front of the ferrari, I'm just trying to get it to stay on the road somewhat convincingly ;-)

I now have all the ingredents for my own 'buino, will be doing some soldering soon.

jonnection

Postby erico » Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Really good, I´m enjoying these work in progress a lot, keep em coming!
erico

Postby Drakker » Thu May 22, 2014 12:16 am

Yep, +1 to that. Great job!
Drakker

Postby DFX2KX » Fri May 23, 2014 5:43 pm

That's impressive how good you can make it look on a Gamebuino-sized screen
DFX2KX

Next

Return to Games Gallery