Minesweeper

Share your games and programs with the community.

Minesweeper

Postby Jolly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi,

I've written a little Minesweeper game, which you probably know from Windows or from various clones on any other platform. :D
If not, here's what you have to do:

There are bombs hidden on the board and you don't know where. If you uncover a field you will either find a bomb (and lose the game) or a number. This number tells you how many bombs this field touches, so you get a hint where the bombs could be.

So if you uncover the number 1, you have 8 possible fields where the bomb could be. If you uncover more fields, you can narrow down the exact position. You can then flag this field to mark the position of the bomb. Flagged fields can not be uncovered, so the bomb won't do any harm. If you misplaced a flag you can unflag the field again.

In the bottom left corner you can see how many bombs there are on the board (always 6 at the moment) and how many field you flagged already. If you placed more flags than there are bombs you have to look again where you made a mistake.

You win the game when you uncovered all fields with no bombs on them. If you are good enough, you don't even have to flag any field.
You lose the game if you uncover a bomb.

The game currently looks like this:

How to play:
  • move the cursor with UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT
  • uncover a field with A
  • flag/unflag with B
  • go back to title screen with C

I plan to add some more features:
  • timer and highscore
  • custom board settings (size of the board, bomb count)
  • nice logo (I have no idea for that yet)
  • epic soundtrack, achievements and Steam Trading Cards

You can find everything on Github:
Repository
zip file containing source and binary files

I hope you have fun playing it. :)
If you have any suggestions or encountered any bugs I'd be happy to hear about them.
Jolly

Re: Minesweeper

Postby treflip » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks! I always like playing minesweeper on windows or such... I'll have to give it a go sometime!
treflip

Postby qubist » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Hey I was working on this for a while and I submitted a pull request on GitHub. Wanna have a look? https://github.com/dirksteindorf/Gamebu ... eper/pulls
qubist

Postby Skyrunner65 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 pm

How do you put folders on Github?
Skyrunner65

Postby rodot » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Skyrunner65 wrote:How do you put folders on Github?

Come on, this is completely off topic and not related to Gamebuino. Use your favorite search engine and you'll find the answer in a matter of seconds.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Skyrunner65 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Sorry.
Other than that, this game looks good.
I don't play minesweeper, but it looks nice.
Skyrunner65

Postby Jolly » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:16 am

I saw the pull request just now and I have to say: holy cow.
You're putting me out of work when you keep doing this. :D
But seriously, thank you very much, qubist. :)

Now that Risen 3 was released it woul've taken me quite some time to actually come back to this. :oops:
Jolly

Postby qubist » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Yeah, totally man! :)

Also if anybody has any ideas to replace the black squares on covered tiles that would be nice... I put them there so I could make uncovered "0" tiles be blank (like the original game) but I don't think they look to great.

Here is what the original minesweeper looks like:

Any suggestions would be nice.

:D
qubist

Postby Myndale » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:46 pm

This is a terrific rendition of Minesweeper, and perfectly balanced for the dimensions of the Gamebuino display.

If I were to throw out one suggestion it would be to somehow place more graphical emphasis on the flags that you mark as having already been found. They are the most important tiles in figuring out what to do next and yet in this version it can be difficult to distinguish them from the numbers, they just get lost in all the noise. In the Windows version this is achieved by coloring the flags red, on Gamebuino I think you need to be a bit more creative like making the flag white against an all-black background or something. Or maybe flash them on and off? Just something to set those particular tiles apart from all the others.

Either way, thanks for a great game!
Myndale

Postby qubist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:53 pm

If I were to throw out one suggestion it would be to somehow place more graphical emphasis on the flags that you mark as having already been found. They are the most important tiles in figuring out what to do next and yet in this version it can be difficult to distinguish them from the numbers, they just get lost in all the noise. In the Windows version this is achieved by coloring the flags red, on Gamebuino I think you need to be a bit more creative like making the flag white against an all-black background or something. Or maybe flash them on and off? Just something to set those particular tiles apart from all the others.

Jolly and I both thought that flashing them on and off would be too distracting.

As for doing white on black, the space is too small (3x5px) to have the white flag on the black background without the white flag hitting the edge of the background. You just can't really see the flag's shape.

I tried swapping their directions so they look less like a "1":
Original:
New:

I think that that is a little better. I will also experiment with making the flags gray. That might help to differentiate them...

EDIT: Maybe I can make the flag black and the background gray? :o I'll try it.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! :)
qubist

Return to Games Gallery