Hello from down under!

Introduce yourself!

Hello from down under!

Postby Prozwolf » Fri May 30, 2014 1:46 am

Hello, people of the wider world,
My name is Wolfe Lumi (Not actual name) and I'm from down under, specifically Australia!

Anyways, I'm a Year 10, or First Year, High school student with a massive interest in programming and it's (limitless) capabilities.
I've played around a lot with .bat files and I've made some games (though not too functional) on them. I'm quite limited in what I can do overall so this, to me, is a new opportunity to play around with SD. I'm doing IT Units 1/2 and i'm going to do Software development next year, so things are going to get interesting.
I understand the basics about computer programming and I can it do well within CMD. However, i don't know other programming languages so it'll be a new experience.

I've ordered a gamebuino and it should arrive in about just over a month or so. Hopefully it all goes well.

I'll be relying on the gamebuino community to help me out :D

(I might post the CMD-based games I've made, but that's up to you guys. Don't blame me if it's sub-par.)
I can post images of the games, but i'm not sure how to...

Thanks,

Wolfe Lumi.
Prozwolf

Re: Hello from down under!

Postby treflip » Fri May 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Hello Wolfe! It's good to see more people here that rely on the community like me! Anyway I am interested in the bat games.. I just got into bat files earlier this year and like how simple and quick to execution they are... no games from me yet but I have messed around with other people stuff...
Here's a little game-type movement setup... it's pretty cool!

Code: Select all
@echo off
 setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

set  arrayline[0]=#############
 set  arrayline[1]=#           #
 set  arrayline[2]=#           #
 set  arrayline[3]=#  ####     #
 set  arrayline[4]=#  ####     #
 set  arrayline[5]=#           #
 set  arrayline[6]=#           #
 set  arrayline[7]=#           #
 set  arrayline[8]=#  ####     #
 set  arrayline[9]=#  ##   ##  #
 set arrayline[10]=#           #
 set arrayline[11]=#           #
 set arrayline[12]=#############

set pos_x=6
 set pos_y=6

REM Color attributes are specified by TWO hex digits -- the first corresponds to the background; the second the foreground. Each digit can be any of the following values:
 REM 0 = Black 8 = Gray 1 = Blue 9 = Light Blue 2 = Green A = Light Green 3 = Aqua B = Light Aqua 4 = Red C = Light Red 5 = Purple D = Light Purple 6 = Yellow E = Light Yellow 7 = White F = Bright White
 set attr=f0
 COLOR %attr%

:game
 call :display
 call :move
 goto game

:display
 cls
 set /a xAdd1=pos_x+1
 ::read it using a FOR /L statement
 for /l %%n in (0,1,12) do (
 set line=!arrayline[%%n]!

if %%n equ %pos_y% (
 set line=!line:~0,%pos_x%!@!line:~%xAdd1%!
 )
 echo !line!
 set checkline[%%n]=!line!
 )
 goto :eof

:move
 choice /n /c:wasd >nul
 set label=%errorlevel%
 set errorlevel=
 set prev_x=!pos_x!
 set prev_y=!pos_y!
 goto %label%
 if %errorlevel% == 1 goto move

:1
 set /a pos_y-=1
 goto check4wall

:2
 set /a pos_x-=1
 goto check4wall

:3
 set /a pos_y+=1
 goto check4wall

:4
 set /a pos_x+=1
 goto check4wall

:check4wall
 set /a chars=%pos_x%+1
 set lineToCheck=!checkline[%pos_y%]:~0,%chars%!
 set moveToTile=!lineToCheck:~-1!
 if “!moveToTile!” == “#” (
 set pos_x=!prev_x!
 set pos_y=!prev_y!
 )
 goto :eof

Forgot to mention:
A-Left
S-Down
W-UP
D-Right
treflip

Postby DFX2KX » Fri May 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Welcome to the forums! Yeah, I come from an interpenetrated language background myself. The Arduino (and by extension, the Gamebuino) is programmed in C/C++. It's vastly different then most of the languages I've used, but I'm figuring it out. Rodot has made the libraries very straight forward, which is fantastic. You might have to fiddle with it a bit, but you'll have things moving about the screen in an hour, and something that passes for a game in a few days, if you're a quick learner.

Also, there is a working emulator in the 'software development forum' there's a topic, read though a few pages to find it, and learn how to use it. I don't have mine yet either, but I've already got have a game sitting here. That's how straightforward the basics are.
DFX2KX

Postby Prozwolf » Fri May 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Hello!

It's nice to see people active in the wider world, it's interesting.

As for CMD based-games, i've really only done the basics, i actually have never heard of the "choice" syntax before so i'm probably going to do a bit of research, thanks for posting your code Trfllp! I just use CMD as something to pass the time, and organize my subject folders, however, i have made some bigger games.

Sometimes, when i feel like it, i usually work on a new idea, whether it be a noting system i've come up with or the like, i've recorded myself working on two occasions and i've made them into timelapses on youtube, i hope you might find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAogGslYKZE
This is a video of me working on Senshadow, i got bored and i wanted to try something new.

Looking back, i can see that most of the code is inefficient but hey, we learn new things every day.

I've heard of the library that Rodot has made, when i saw the intro video, i pondered a bit on how to make a keyboard until i read that all you needed to do was keyboard(). That surprised me a bit.

Oh well, That's all from me for today, I'll have a thorough look through the code and see what i can make of it, anyways, thanks.
Have a great day,

Wolfe.
Prozwolf

Postby DFX2KX » Sat May 31, 2014 1:30 am

and here I'm thinking CMD is a language I've never heard of... You made a game... in one big batch file.... I'm impressed. I didn't think that was possible.
DFX2KX

Postby Prozwolf » Sat May 31, 2014 2:00 am

when you're at the top of your class for 3 years in a row with no hw for three entire years, you have a lot of time. i've made a 27,000-line-of-code game in CMD. that took me two years.
Prozwolf

Postby DFX2KX » Sat May 31, 2014 9:29 pm

Prozwolf wrote:when you're at the top of your class for 3 years in a row with no hw for three entire years, you have a lot of time. i've made a 27,000-line-of-code game in CMD. that took me two years.

that's mindblowing....
DFX2KX

Postby treflip » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:14 am

I'll second that! .. on the 27000 lines cmd program.. You probably have done most every kind of if statement then huh??

I didn't make it all the way the way through the time-lapse but liked what I saw. You use notepad??? How do you do column editing like that?? I'm sure you heard of Notepad++ right? if not check it out.. it's pretty sweet and free! Do you use other software to edit lines in notepad? I liked the ascii art program. That's pretty useful!

I would be interested in any programs you did for cmd.. I use them to see how to execute certain parts of code.. but it doesn't look like you do much commenting though?? or maybe I just haven't seen enough of your stuff yet..
treflip

Postby Prozwolf » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:58 pm

I had made the timelapse quite some time ago and only uploaded it because it looked cool. however, i wont be able to reupload it because i dont have the raw footage to comment on how the system works.
However, if i do make any more timelapses, i probably will make them more interesting.

As for the 27000 line-of-code game, and the timelapse video, i had made them quite some time ago so most of the code is just basic if statements and the like. about 8000 lines went into pseudo-for commands to set values for each skill, having about 48 skills in total, each skill having 17 different states or ranks for each skill and 6 or so variables for each skill or rank.

However, i have had a look at the code that you have posted and have completely remade from scratch a newer, more flexible system. The old system was not very flexible as you could only display one moving tile per y value and could not modify the map to include other items, such as coins or power-ups if you were making a game.

I'll post the code for the game once i'm home.

Thanks.
Prozwolf

Postby treflip » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:10 am

Ok cool. I look forward to seeing it. I know what you mean about pseudo code being the bulk of the design.. that's going to take up a lot of space in the coding of games for sure.

I like the idea of cmd line games because you can create huge files and the cpu should be able to handle it (as far as I can tell) so making a roguelike with the cmd prompt for the screen seems pretty doable to me.. I don't know if you like roguelikes or have and iphone but endless nights is pretty simple and fun game in that genre.. I am looking into something like that..

I am still getting my head around the parameters of the gambuino first though. Like the processor seems pretty good but the ram is going to determine how many sprites per screen and I've heard greyscale shouldn't be too much of a problem but am waiting on the jury for that.

Right now I'm looking at buy sprite something for the pixel art/backgrounds and maybe gimp. Do you like the coding aspect of the games or more of the artwork Wolfe? I'm kinda torn between optimization (running assembly vs arduino commands) and art... just because if the game isn't fast and appealing then it will lack something to me.
treflip

Next

Return to Presentation