Gamebuino contrast issues

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Gamebuino contrast issues

Postby Sushi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Hey all,
I just received my gamebuino in the mail. It works fine in the main game selector, but when I enter a game, my contrast increases so much that the screen looks black. Anyone know how to fix it? Thanks

http://imgur.com/cgWIeZh,6J6zbkp#0
http://imgur.com/cgWIeZh,6J6zbkp#1
Sushi

Re: Gamebuino contrast issues

Postby Myndale » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:24 am

Run the settings.hex app and set it there. Gamebuino screens are all second-hand and have different individual contrast settings.
Myndale

Postby Sushi » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 am

I've tried. It sets the contrast for the programs that work, the "broken" program will alway show black. The only programs that are working are the ones made by r0d0t and myself.
Sushi

Postby Myndale » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 am

Sushi wrote:I've tried. It sets the contrast for the programs that work, the "broken" program will alway show black. The only programs that are working are the ones made by r0d0t and myself.

The games that originally shipped with Gamebuino were compiled with a version of the library that used the wrong location for settings. It's up to the authors of the games to update their HEX files with the latest version of the library but I'm guessing that many (most?) haven't yet done so. Make sure you've downloaded and are using Rodot's latest version of settings.hex and then try downloading the source code for a game you want to play, compile it yourself with the latest libarry and replace the SD card hex with the one you've just compiled. My guess is that will fix your problems.
Myndale

Postby Sushi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:34 am

Sure, where can I get the hex? Also, I've tried compiling the programs on my own, I still get the blackscreen...
Sushi

Postby Myndale » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:50 am

Sushi wrote:Sure, where can I get the hex?

You can build it yourself from within the IDE, it's in File -> Examples -> Gamebuino -> Utilities -> Settings.
Myndale

Postby Sushi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:00 pm

I've built settings, and nothing changed. Could it be hardware? I seriously doubt it, because it is only certain programs that fail.
Sushi

Postby rodot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:30 am

As Myndale said:
Myndale wrote:The games that originally shipped with Gamebuino were compiled with a version of the library that used the wrong location for settings. It's up to the authors of the games to update their HEX files with the latest version of the library but I'm guessing that many (most?) haven't yet done so. Make sure you've downloaded and are using Rodot's latest version of settings.hex and then try downloading the source code for a game you want to play, compile it yourself with the latest libarry and replace the SD card hex with the one you've just compiled. My guess is that will fix your problems.

You have to re-build the games, so they look for your settings in the right location, as the settings location changed in the update 0.2.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Sushi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks
Sushi

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting