[SOLVED] I can't get the programmer to flash the bootloader.

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Re: I can't get the programmer to flash the bootloader.

Postby Myndale » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36 am

Ok, well we'll have to get regular uploads working first before trying to upload the bootloader. Any chance you can post a photo showing exactly how you've wired the two together?
Myndale

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:37 am

Myndale wrote:Ok, well we'll have to get regular uploads working first before trying to upload the bootloader. Any chance you can post a photo showing exactly how you've wired the two together?

hookup.jpg
It came with it's own ribbon cable. I don't have those little tester cables like you've got. I don't even know where to get those. XD
hookup.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 7083 times
DFX2KX

Postby Myndale » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:48 am

You've got your cable connected backwards on the Gamebuino side. ICSP connectors typically have a small dot printed onto the PCB next to the upper-left/VCC pin. It's a bit difficult to see on your unit because of the white faceplate but on Gamebuino that dot appears at the bottom. By convention the coloured wire along the edge of your cable is VCC and should wind up on the same side of the connector as that dot.
Myndale

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:20 am

Myndale wrote:You've got your cable connected backwards on the Gamebuino side. ICSP connectors typically have a small dot printed onto the PCB next to the upper-left/VCC pin. It's a bit difficult to see on your unit because of the white faceplate but on Gamebuino that dot appears at the bottom. By convention the coloured wire along the edge of your cable is VCC and should wind up on the same side of the connector as that dot.

That's how it's keyed....It doesn't want to fit the other way.
DFX2KX

Postby Myndale » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:24 am

DFX2KX wrote:That's how it's keyed....It doesn't want to fit the other way.

Then change it round on the programmer side. And if you can't do that then try taking off the Gamebuino faceplate.

Barring that you'll need to get either a directionless cable or jumpers like I use.
Myndale

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:32 am

Myndale wrote:
DFX2KX wrote:That's how it's keyed....It doesn't want to fit the other way.

Then change it round on the programmer side. And if you can't do that then try taking off the Gamebuino faceplate.

Barring that you'll need to get either a directionless cable or jumpers like I use.

It's keyed this way on both ends... Wait... Why exactly would they key it backwards on one end, exactly? O_o That doesn't even make any sense...

(edit: put it in backwards, and the power light came on, and the screen lights flickered.... It didn't do that the second time I tried, but it did boot up afterwards, oh, and it outputted this after I tried to load a test GB game)

Code: Select all
Sketch uses 10,830 bytes (35%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,592 bytes.
Global variables use 681 bytes of dynamic memory.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cusbtiny -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Russell\AppData\Local\Temp\build1755459338182284897.tmp/a_Hello.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr  3 2014 at 23:12:16
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbtiny
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
         Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 00 00]
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 00 00]
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Last edited by DFX2KX on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DFX2KX

Postby Myndale » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:46 am

DFX2KX wrote:Wait... Why exactly would they key it backwards on one end, exactly? O_o That doesn't even make any sense...

I think you'll find it's effectively "upside-down" on the Gamebuino. I believe it wasn't Rodot's original intention to expose the ICSP port (luckily for us he changed his mind), he probably didn't pay too much attention to it during the PCB design phase. Normally it's not a problem, the programmers I've seen have used keyed cables but not a keyed socket on the programmer itself.

It's not like Arduino cables are expensive or anything, if I were you I'd pull out an exacto knife and carefully remove the little tab that's stopping you from turning it around. Problem solved!
Myndale

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:59 am

Myndale wrote:
DFX2KX wrote:Wait... Why exactly would they key it backwards on one end, exactly? O_o That doesn't even make any sense...

I think you'll find it's effectively "upside-down" on the Gamebuino. I believe it wasn't Rodot's original intention to expose the ICSP port (luckily for us he changed his mind), he probably didn't pay too much attention to it during the PCB design phase. Normally it's not a problem, the programmers I've seen have used keyed cables but not a keyed socket on the programmer itself.

It's not like these cables are expensive or anything, if I were you I'd pull out an exacto knife. Problem solved!

ohhhhhh

Also....
It worked!.jpg
It worked! And it disabled SD card functionality while it was at it :D whoops... Think I'll have to burn the bootloader again? And I had sandpaper handy. The flickering lights scared me. Apperantly the GB has to be ON to flash with this thing... This thing scares me. I'll update the bootloader and use it to make a fakebuino or somehting, nothing more.
It worked!.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 7078 times
DFX2KX

Postby Myndale » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 am

Oops! Yeah, I forgot to mention, SD cards use the SPI bus and are low voltage as well, you might wanna remove it before uploading anything via the ICSP. If it's stopped working then try reformatting it.

But uploads are working now, right? If so then you should be good to go for burning the bootloader backon.
Myndale

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:24 am

Myndale wrote:Oops! Yeah, I forgot to mention, SD cards use the SPI bus and are low voltage as well, you might wanna remove it before uploading anything via the ICSP. If it's stopped working then try reformatting it.

But uploads are working now, right? If so then you should be good to go for burning the bootloader backon.

didn't think about that!

So... Burning the bootloader still gave an error

Code: Select all
Arduino: 1.5.8 (Windows 7), Board: "Gamebuino"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cusbtiny -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xda:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f

eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/

CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [ac 52 53 00]
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | CMD: [30 00 00 00] [00 30 00 1e]
CMD: [30 00 01 00] [00 30 00 95]
################CMD: [30 00 02 00] [00 30 00 0f]
################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: erasing chip
CMD: [ac 80 00 00] [00 ac 80 00]
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 ac 53 00]
avrdude: reading input file "0x3F"
avrdude: writing lock (1 bytes):

Writing | CMD: [58 00 00 00] [00 58 00 ff]
################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lock written
avrdude: verifying lock memory against 0x3F:
avrdude: load data lock data from input file 0x3F:
avrdude: input file 0x3F contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip lock data:

Reading | CMD: [58 00 00 00] [00 58 00 ff]

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 1 bytes of lock verified
avrdude: reading input file "0x05"
avrdude: writing efuse (1 bytes):

Writing | CMD: [50 08 00 00] [00 50 08 fd]

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse written
avrdude: verifying efuse memory against 0x05:
avrdude: load data efuse data from input file 0x05:
avrdude: input file 0x05 contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip efuse data:

Reading | CMD: [50 08 00 00] [00 50 08 fd]

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse verified
avrdude: reading input file "0xda"
avrdude: writing hfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | CMD: [58 08 00 00] [00 58 08 da]

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse written
avrdude: verifying hfuse memory against 0xda:
avrdude: load data hfuse data from input file 0xda:
avrdude: input file 0xda contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip hfuse data:

Reading | CMD: [58 08 00 00] [00 58 08 da]

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse verified
avrdude: reading input file "0xff"
avrdude: writing lfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | CMD: [50 00 00 00] [00 50 00 ff]

avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse written
avrdude: verifying lfuse memory against 0xff:
avrdude: load data lfuse data from input file 0xff:
avrdude: input file 0xff contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip lfuse data:

Reading | CMD: [50 00 00 00] [00 50 00 ff]

avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse verified

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cusbtiny -Uflash:w:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr/bootloaders/gamebuino_boot.hex:i -Ulock:w:0x0F:m

CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 53 00]
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | CMD: [30 00 00 00] [00 30 00 1e]
CMD: [30 00 01 00] [00 30 00 95]
################CMD: [30 00 02 00] [00 30 00 0f]
################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
CMD: [ac 80 00 00] [00 ac 80 00]
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 ac 53 00]
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr/bootloaders/gamebuino_boot.hex"
avrdude: can't open input file C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr/bootloaders/gamebuino_boot.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: read from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr/bootloaders/gamebuino_boot.hex' failed

Error while burning bootloader.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

I was like D: and then read the error a bit, and then was like.... "Doh!" Went and put the 'Gamebuino_Boot.hex' where avrdude wanted it.

Then This happened
Burning bootloader.jpg
Let the nail-biting begin!
Burning bootloader.jpg (43.89 KiB) Viewed 7074 times

After that, This happened
With the bootloader from Gamebuino_Master.jpg
Horray! Not sure how new the bootloader that comes with Gambuino_master.zip is, but I bet it's newer then my IndieGoGo bootloader. Now to update all of the HEX files, which is easy peasy compared to this little adventure.
With the bootloader from Gamebuino_Master.jpg (52.47 KiB) Viewed 7074 times

Thanks Myndale!!!! I now know I've got a working programmer. And you helped me fix my FakeTDI chip too. I'll go and record how to flash the bootloader/fix the FTDI tomorrow. For now, I'm happy just to know that strange solder smell is worth it... (It's a tribute to whatever knockoff atmel is in this Gamebuino that it happily chugged away with the jack backwards all day)
DFX2KX

PreviousNext

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting