Installing Driver without Gamebuino?

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Installing Driver without Gamebuino?

Postby JWinslow23 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Hello. I heard about the Gamebuino randomly on Kickstarter one day, and I decided to get started making games with it.

I have downloaded the Simbuino emulator, as well as a whole lot of games. I also downloaded the latest version of Arduino (1.6.0), and installed the Gamebuino libraries. I want to be able to program games for it (not having one myself yet), yet there is one step I haven't done that might be affecting my ability to compile programs...installing the drivers. How do I do this without having a Gamebuino?
JWinslow23

Re: Installing Driver without Gamebuino?

Postby Myndale » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:50 am

The drivers aren't actually needed to compile games if you're going to run them in the emulator. In fact you don't even need them to play on the real hardware since you can just copy them to an SD card and run them from there. Where you will need drivers is if you want to upload games directly from the Arduino IDE during development.

For the time being follow the instructions on the Wiki's Getting Started page, select "Gamebuino" as your target device in the Arduino IDE and do a control-R (build) instead of control-U (upload). That will generate hex/elf files that you can load with the emulators.
Myndale

Postby JWinslow23 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:39 pm

...now I get the problem. Apparently, I'm missing the Arduino core. I'm getting the error message "Selected board depends on 'arduino' core (not installed)". Now, exactly what should I do to install that? I'm not finding much searching on the Arduino website.
JWinslow23

Postby Myndale » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:32 am

Which version of the IDE are you running? Also are you sure you've selected Tools -> Board -> Gamebuino from the menu?
Myndale

Postby JWinslow23 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 pm

1.6.0, as stated earlier (I downloaded the zip instead of running the installer). And yes, I selected Gamebuino from the Build menu.
JWinslow23

Postby rodot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:49 am

My bad, there are some changes in the folder /hardware and the file board.txt to do when you switch from Arduino IDE 1.0.x to 1.6. I just commited these changes to the beta branch of the library. Simply copy and past the /avr folder and its content into <sketchbook folder>/hardware.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby JWinslow23 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:30 am

Thank you. It's working fine now. :)
JWinslow23

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting