Minimal battery tips

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Minimal battery tips

Postby REGFly » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:34 pm

How should i configure the battery options so i could use it as long as i can? Sorry i im really new at this so im asking alot of questions. + this wasnt in the wiki
REGFly

Re: Minimal battery tips

Postby Montiey » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:07 pm

You could start by setting the maximum amount of backlight to 0, so it will never turn on.
Another thing you can do other than turning the default volume of the speaker to OFF, so unless a game forces it ON, or you manually press B on the menu screen of a game, it will not make an sound.

:)
Montiey

Postby REGFly » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:30 pm

and should i change the battery settings?
REGFly

Postby rodot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:07 am

The battery setting you can change is to set the critic level to 0mV, this way you will never get the critic battery alert that prevents you from playing. The risk is that the game will stop/restart when out of battery, so you might loose your progression. Also, totally emptying a LiPo battery may damage it (reduce its capacity). Although the batteries include a circuit to prevent over-discharge, it's better not to rely on it.
To change this setting, load the program SETTINGS.HEX, then select "Change settings/Battery/Critic voltage" and set it to 0.

As Montiey said, you can disable sound and backlight to increase battery life. Another thing you can do is to buy a larger battery from eBay and replace the original one (requires a soldering iron), you can easily find one which would fit in your Gamebuino with 2-3x the capacity. If you change the case, you could fit a large battery with 10x the capacity of the original one. I could include these by default in every Gamebuino, but I prefer to keep the Gamebuino as cheap as possible, and I consider that 8+ hours of battery life is already enough for most users, plus it only takes 1-2 hours to recharge the battery on any USB port (phone charger, computer, etc.).
rodot
Site Admin

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting