Scrambled screen, now won't turn on

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Scrambled screen, now won't turn on

Postby BurningSushi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi,

Just as above, my Gamebuino is having problems turning on. I unscrewed it to take the screen off and take a look at it, then when I put it back together I had the usual contrast issue I always get, so I bumbled into the settings menu and sorted out the contrast after much pressing around. When the contrast came on, the screen looked fine, but after about ten seconds the LCD started scrambling. Then it scrambled periodically for around a few minutes in every application before finally freezing. Now the only thing that's showing is the TX arrow and the power LEDs.

I've tried: The C button trick, reloading the games compilation onto the SD card (some of the .sav files on the card were corrupted so I formatted it beforehand) and just purely turning it off and on again. I get the feeling I might have bricked it.

A few observations: The sound doesn't come on as well as the backlight, although there is a *very* slight gain in brightness for TX and Power LEDs after a second, as if it was going to make the sound and come on. The screen scrambled very briefly after one turn on, but then went back to blank.

I'm out of ideas for what's wrong and need to know where is a good area to start looking, any ideas?
BurningSushi

Re: Scrambled screen, now won't turn on

Postby BurningSushi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi, I've just tried the C trick the other way round (holding it, then turning on) and now it turns on, I misread the wiki. However, the screen is still scrambling periodically (Although MUCH less frequently than before). Is this a screen problem?
BurningSushi

Postby BurningSushi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:20 am

Alright, reformatted the card not using the 'quick format' option seemed to fix it, with fresh HEX installs. Apologies if this was a bit of a wasted post XD
BurningSushi

Postby erico » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:17 am

Not a waste, just more info for newcomers.
I´m glad you got it worked out at the end. :)
Cheers.
erico

Postby rodot » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:41 am

Hey, the screen scrambling comes from a bad contact between the screen and the PCB (afaik), I doubt formatting the SD card would solve it... I think it's a coincidence that the screen got back in place when you the SD card out and in ^^
rodot
Site Admin

Postby BurningSushi » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:49 pm

I do have to pinch it a bit now and again, but it does work a lot better than when I first got it now, looks really mint and some previous contrast issues (didn't realise there was until now) all got sorted. Thanks for the heads up about it, should it happen again!
BurningSushi

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting