TX and RX lights stay on

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

TX and RX lights stay on

Postby niekwoo10 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:13 pm

I just received my Gamebuino and I absolutely love it.
However, the TX and RX LEDs stay on when I'm playing a game or even in the main menu. This happens regardless if the USB cord is plugged in or not.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Cheers,
Niek
niekwoo10

Re: TX and RX lights stay on

Postby adekto » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 pm

have you checked if the usb or the i2c plugs have any sort of gunk in it?
it might be one or more of the wires thats shorting out
adekto

Postby niekwoo10 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:34 pm

I have checked the plugs and traces, they don't seem to be the issue.
What's strange is that the issue is intermittent, sometimes when I turn it on the LEDs are off, but most of the time they are on.
niekwoo10

Postby niekwoo10 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:51 pm

I have just disassembled the gamebuino and I wasn't able to spot any shorts. Maybe it's a firmware issue, might reflashing help?
niekwoo10

Postby Sorunome » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Hm, I seem to have the same issue on my new gamebuino. The fix seems to be (only lasts for a certain amount of time) to plug the gamebuino into the gamebuino and then remove the plug again.
EDIT: it seems to be that if the TX and RX lights are on all the time then turning on takes longer
Sorunome

Postby lastfuture » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:19 pm

I fetched my second Gamebuino from the post office today (rev3) and I experience the same problem. The flashing of anything takes very long compared to my rev2 (games, loader, settings ...), almost an order of magnitude longer. I've also swapped SD cards between the two revisions with no change, seems to be the Gamebuino. Even flashing the loader by holding C during power up is taking ages (and I have to hold C way longer for it to re-flash the loader as well). It's almost like it's in some kind of busy loop and has limited resources during flashing/starting or something.

I've noticed that the sd slot is a bit tight, the micro sd isn't coming out easily, I can hear some faint scratching sound when moving the card in and out. Could this be a source of a short as described above? Or maybe it's something entirely different.

Anyway, after flashing/loading is done it's working as usual apart from the RX and TX LEDs staying lit, but it's really apparent during flashing.
lastfuture

Postby Sorunome » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:58 pm

The turning on / holding c button to flash LOADER.HEX etc. is the same speed if the gamebuino is plugged in to the computer (in a way so that you could also upload sketches), that also causes TX and RX turn off.
Sorunome

Postby rodot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:16 am

It's taking longer because the bootloader has been updated to go slower, as fast flashing would cause incompatibility and lack of reliability with some micro SD cards.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby lastfuture » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:42 am

OK. Is that also the reason that it's much harder to time holding C while powercycling? Compared to before I have to hold C much longer for it to happen, I'm used to letting go faster.
All this is far from a deal breaker btw. Just a minor annoyance
lastfuture

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting