won't work at all [SOLVED]

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

won't work at all [SOLVED]

Postby rotyler » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:24 pm

I haven't posted on this fourm in about a year cause i was doing other things and my gamebuino was missing, but i found it and it doesn't work.

it will not turn on at all unless plugged into usb
when it turns on the screen flashes back lights for a second 1 line of pixels appears and i hear a clicking noise. after that it shuts off again.
i tried holding the c button and waiting for a while and it didn't work
any ideas? :?
edittt
works now got a new battery and sodered it
Last edited by rotyler on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rotyler

Re: won't work at all

Postby jonnection » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:44 pm

My guess: over-discharged li-po. Means that the li-po cell voltage has fallen so low, that it does not charge.

But that is just a guess.
jonnection

Postby rotyler » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:04 pm

how do i fix it?
rotyler

Postby superfreaky » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:43 pm

You could try leaving it plugged in for a long time, although that's not likely to make things work. The best way is to replace the battery entirely. Just be careful to solder the new one on exactly the same way.
superfreaky

Postby superfreaky » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Although the maH rating is the same, the voltage is not. The GB battery is a 3.7 volt battery, and the voltage of the replacement needs to match that. However, the maH rating is not important. You could take this opportunity to upgrade the battery to a longer lasting one if you wanted, as long as it still fits. The Gamebuino might have trouble charging a much larger battery, though.
superfreaky

Postby superfreaky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:09 am

That should work! Be aware, however, that it will most likely need to go on the outside of the case, because it's pretty thick compared to the original. If that bothers you, ask r0d0t exactly which battery he uses for GB. Can't go wrong there.
superfreaky

Postby superfreaky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:13 am

Also, rather than soldering the battery directly on the board, it might be easier to solder the battery to an spi connector and power the GB that way (I think it's possible, anyway.) Then, if you did it to both batteries, you could switch them out when you ran out of power with one. That could be cool, although completely unnecessary considering the battery life already. ;) If you do this route, be very careful to wire the connector properly. Otherwise, you'll most likely fry your gamebuino.
superfreaky

Postby jonnection » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:42 am

superfreaky wrote:Also, rather than soldering the battery directly on the board, it might be easier to solder the battery to an spi connector and power the GB that way (I think it's possible, anyway.)

Its possible but you shouldn't do it.

1) you won't be able to charge your battery

2) you won't be able to switch off

3) you will be inputting 3.7V to all components, including the SD card. Maximum allowed voltage for MicroSD cards is 3.6V

I recommend buying a 3.7 V rechargeable li-po battery off the internet, ebay or so on and soldering it in the same place as the original.
jonnection

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting