Just got Gamebuino; Wont turn on after SD card downloads

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Just got Gamebuino; Wont turn on after SD card downloads

Postby GraduallyGrace » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:51 pm

I just recieved my Gamebuino recently and it was working perfectly until I wanted to update the game library.
I did as the instructions said, unzipped the file and copy/pasted the games onto the SD card. (It was only from the game library so the only files that got replaced were the games already there)
I plugged the SD card in, turned the device on and the menu appeared for a brief second.

Now the machine won't turn on whatsoever regardless if contains the SD card or not.

I've charged it for at least an hour; the charging light is still there when I charge and so is the on light if I flick the switch.
I've tried the c button fix and the others as well, I've checked that the screen is lined up. Due to particular circumstances I wouldn't be able to get a new screen if that's the problem.

Please, please help.
I don't want to send it back but it looks like I'm going to have to.

EDIT: now, whenever i turn the device on, the only other thing that happens is the light with FIX in an arrow above turns on and stays on. (once again regardless if the SD card is in the device or not)
GraduallyGrace

Re: Just got Gamebuino; Wont turn on after SD card downloads

Postby rodot » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Did you format the SD card ? The SD has to be formatted in FAT (not FAT32). If you want to try another SD card, it has to be 4GB max as FAT doesn't support larger cards.

When you turn your Gamebuino ON, there is no sound, no backlight, and the power LED (the one in the center) doesn't light up ?

You said you charged it for an hour, did the battery LED light up when it was plugged in ?

It doesn't sound like your problem is related to the SD card, I think it was a coincidence. Can you visually check that no cable are loose on the back of your Gamebuino, are the battery cables soldered properly ? Could you check they are not pinched by a screw/spacer ?
rodot
Site Admin

Re: Just got Gamebuino; Wont turn on after SD card downloads

Postby GraduallyGrace » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:19 pm

rodot wrote:Did you format the SD card ? The SD has to be formatted in FAT (not FAT32). If you want to try another SD card, it has to be 4GB max as FAT doesn't support larger cards.

When you turn your Gamebuino ON, there is no sound, no backlight, and the power LED (the one in the center) doesn't light up ?

You said you charged it for an hour, did the battery LED light up when it was plugged in ?

It doesn't sound like your problem is related to the SD card, I think it was a coincidence. Can you visually check that no cable are loose on the back of your Gamebuino, are the battery cables soldered properly ? Could you check they are not pinched by a screw/spacer ?

I was going to give you a description but for some reason when I plugged the Gamebuino into my laptop it suddenly started working again.

I can still give you a full description of what was happening when it did not work if you would like.

I never attempted attaching it to my computer as that was not in the troubleshooting (and I didn't have the arduino software yet so there was no reason to) but I've just read some other posts and it apparently worked for others too (for different problems).

Might be a possible troubleshooting fix.
GraduallyGrace

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting