[SOLVED] Gamebuino only worked once :(

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

[SOLVED] Gamebuino only worked once :(

Postby Nostromo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:43 am

Hi out there

I just received my Gamebuino and was very excited, it started properly and I was able to play one of the games. But sadly, something went wrong :|
After turning it off and on, the screen stays black and there's no start sound. The C button is not jammed and has absolutely no effect at all.
The battery is charged, the connection to the PC works (the gamebuino gets recognized and installs its virtaul port properly), the sd-card seems to be fine and contains all the files neccessary (didn't change anything on it so far).

Sounds a little bit like something's gone ? Maybe have to reflash the bootlader ? and ideas ?
Nostromo

Re: Gamebuino only worked once :(

Postby rodot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:04 am

When you say that the screen stays black, do you mean empty like when it's turned off, or black like if all pixels were active ?
In the first case, did you try to push the C button down, hold it, turn the Gamebuino on, release the C button, and wait about 10 s to flash the loader ? If it doesn't work, try to load a program using the USB port.
In the second case, it's a contrast issue. It may come from a display misalignment, you should try to move it slightly sideways (leftward/rightward downward/upward). There is a little slack in the screen position and sometimes the contacts get misaligned. You can also adjust contrasts in the program settings.hex
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Nostromo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 am

Hi there

The screen was completely turned off, no backlight, nothing.

When I tried to load the LOADER.HEX by pushing the C-button during power-on nothing happened. So I connected the Gamebuino to the PC and loaded one of the games, that worked well and my gamebuino was alive again.

But when I tried to load the LOADER.HEX from the SD card, the same thing happened again :( so I formatted the SD-card and reloaded all the HEX Files, the loader now works absolutely well. But sometimes when I try to load games from the SD card, the same thing happens again. So it looks like, that the SD card gets corrupted from time to time. Then I have to wipe and reload all the data onto it and then it again works for some time.

Since I'm used to Arduino based system, I know that handling an SD card is quite tricky. Also due to the fact that it has absolutely nothing on it, that prevents the data from corruption on power-off.
Nostromo

Postby rodot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:29 am

Mmh, it might come from a faulty micro SD card, bootloader. Do you have any micro SD card of 2GB or less to try if it solves your problem ? Don' t forget to format it in FAT.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Nostromo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 am

Sadly, I only have >= 4 GB micro SD cards here, I have to order one and give it another try. Since I can load the stuff from my PC when the card gets faulty again, it's not a big deal ;)
Nostromo

Re: [SOLVED] Gamebuino only worked once :(

Postby ripper121 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:13 am

I have also Screen contact problems, the PCB is bent a little bit, because its very thin.
I removed the Plastic which pressed the screen on the pcb and no it works better.
ripper121

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting