[SOLVED] Problems with SD

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

[SOLVED] Problems with SD

Postby aus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:40 am

Just received my Gamebuino, really like it!

However, flashing the loader from SD does not seem to work. If I press C, the screen says 'Flashing Loader' then turns off. If I then switch off/on, nothing happens at all - no screen or sound.

The only way to bring back to life is to upload a game via the Arduino software on a PC.

Might the SD reader be faulty or am I doing soemething wrong?
aus

Re: Problems with SD

Postby rodot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:11 am

Some SD cards seem to be slower than the other, it might take up to 20s to flash a program. If you turn your Gamebuino while a program is being flashed, you'll have a corrupted program in memory, that's why uploading a game using USB solves the problem.

You can also push the C button down, hold it, turn the Gamebuino on, release the C button, and wait about 10-20s to flash loader.hex. You don't have to hold down the C button, it should just be pushed at the instant when you turn the power switch on.

If you load the loader (located in examples/utilities/loader) using the USB port and then select a game in the list that appears on your Gamebuino's screen, does it work, or does it hang?

PS: each Gamebuino are tested with the micro SD card provided before shipping, so I'm 100% they work fine ;)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby aus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks for the very quick reply. I uploaded the loader via USB and I can select a game successfully.

However, the C button when turning on does not work.
aus

Postby Nostromo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:43 am

Sounds exactly the same as with my Gamebuino ;)
--> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=828

As for the non working C-button: Try to format the SD-card and reload the HEX Files from the Gamebuino master library. In my case it worked after rebuilding the SD card. But it seems my card gets corrupted from time to time, so I'm going to replace mine.
Nostromo

Postby aus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:13 am

Yes, that fixed the problem - format SD and reload HEX files. Thanks!

Still can't get pressing the C button when switching on to flash the loader. However, pressing C on a game screen does flash the loader.
aus

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with SD

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi, i received my multiplayer pack yesterday! Thank you! I really like it but it seems that i have the same problem with one of my gamebuino, let me explain :

After trying the game loaded by default (for the 2 gamebuino), i've decided to play with other games so i pressed the C button, the screen says : Flashing loader, don't turn off! But after maybe 15-25 seconds the screen of 1 gamebuino became blank and nothing appeared...

So i had no choice except to turn off the gamebuino. I checked the forum and decided to swap the 2 SD CARD and test again the 2 gamebuino. The results are that one SD card seems to be defective because the blank screen appears with this SD card and if i change it then the gamebuino works well.

Today i've formated the defective SD card (FAT16) and reloaded all HEX. files from "Gamebuino Master" but nothing changed... :( This is the third time that i try this but nothing changed again.
Tony

Postby rodot » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Mmh, I test each micro SD card with the Gamebuino they are shipped in, that's pretty surprising that yours stopped working. I you upload the program "LOADER" through USB, and then select a game from the micro SD card, does it behave the same way?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Mhhhh no i didn't try this, i'll do that today, thank you :)
Tony

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Sorry for the delay... i needed to download and install Arduino to do that, so the problem is still here :
(by the way The Getting started guide is really good for beginner, very good job everything is clear ;) )

I've uploaded successfully the LOADER (example) trough the USB port via Arduino it was ok, but after that when i try to select a game from the micro SD card this is the same, one more time i've decided to format it and test again but i've the same problem again :(... I'm pretty sure that the 2 Gamebuino works fine because there is no problem with the others microSD card, but i agree with you this is very surprising :(
Tony

Postby rodot » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Okay then please contact me to support (at) gamebuino.com so we can arrange a replacement. I'm sorry about the inconvenience :(
rodot
Site Admin

Next

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting