[SOLVED]Can't get Arduino 1.0.5 to verify Gamebuino examples

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

[SOLVED]Can't get Arduino 1.0.5 to verify Gamebuino examples

Postby lastfuture » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Hello,

I've installed Arduino 1.0.5 (latest stable) on Mac OS and I've moved the Gamebuino Libraries and bootloader to the apropriate locations in ~/Documents/Arduino
As far as I can tell the locations are correct. I see the Gamebuino Examples in the File menu and I've been able to select the board in the Tools menu (resulting in "Gamebuino on COM1" in the bottm right of my sketch windows). However the examples don't verify/compile.

If I load "a_Hello" from "1. Basics" for example verification will fail in line 13 where it says
Code: Select all
  gb.titleScreen(F("My first game"));

with the reason
'F' was not declared in this scope

I'm obviously missing something, but what? It seems to have found Gamebuino.h as included in line 2 and gb.begin(); didn't create an error. Is there any other library I need? Is Arduino 1.0.5 not the correct version? Are there more installation steps on a Mac?

Somebody please help me out.

This is the full output:
Code: Select all
In file included from a_Hello.ino:2:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/SPI/SPI.h:38: error: 'byte' does not name a type
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/SPI/SPI.h:55: error: 'byte' does not name a type
In file included from /Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:15,
                 from a_Hello.ino:4:
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Backlight.h:19: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
In file included from /Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:16,
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Display.h:75: error: expected class-name before '{' token
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Display.h:117: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Display.h:118: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Display.h:121: error: 'byte' does not name a type
In file included from /Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:17,
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Buttons.h:18: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Buttons.h:19: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Buttons.h:20: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Buttons.h:21: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
In file included from /Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:18,
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Battery.h:26: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
In file included from /Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:19,
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Sound.h:30: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Sound.h:36: error: 'boolean' has not been declared
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Sound.h:39: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Sound.h:79: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Sound.h:86: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
In file included from a_Hello.ino:4:
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:33: error: expected ',' or '...' before '*' token
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:33: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of '__FlashStringHelper' with no type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:34: error: expected ',' or '...' before '*' token
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:34: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of '__FlashStringHelper' with no type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:34: error: 'void Gamebuino::titleScreen(int)' cannot be overloaded
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:33: error: with 'void Gamebuino::titleScreen(int)'
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:37: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:38: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:50: error: expected ',' or '...' before '*' token
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:50: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of '__FlashStringHelper' with no type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:53: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:57: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:58: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:64: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of '__FlashStringHelper' with no type
/Users/peter/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Gamebuino/Gamebuino.h:64: error: expected ';' before '*' token
a_Hello.ino: In function 'void setup()':
a_Hello:13: error: 'F' was not declared in this scope
a_Hello.ino: In function 'void loop()':
a_Hello:21: error: 'class Gamebuino' has no member named 'update'
a_Hello:23: error: 'class Display' has no member named 'println'
a_Hello:23: error: 'F' was not declared in this scope
a_Hello:29: error: 'class Display' has no member named 'println'
lastfuture

Re: Can't get Arduino 1.0.5 to verify Gamebuino examples

Postby rodot » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:32 pm

Arduino 1.0.5 is the latet version of Arduino, I successfully compiled the Arduino examples using Windows and Linux, but I don't have a Mac (look like it's time for me to turn my computer in a triple-boot hackintosh). According to the Arduino installation guide, there is no extra steps for Mac so you should be ok.

Your problem seems to be related to Arduino compilation more than Gamebuino specific things, as all the errors messages are about Arduino (like "error: 'byte' does not name a type"). Can you compile (hem, "verify") any example from Arduino (not Gamebuino) like "blink" ?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby phi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:52 am

I am using OSX 10.9.4 (Mavericks) with Arduino 1.0.5 and the Hello World example verified without errors.
Have you followed all the steps from the tutorial?
Maybe you have missed something.

-Copy the folders "Gamebuino" and "tinyFat" located in /libraries and paste them in /Arduino/libraries (where you installed Arduino)
-Copy the folder "gamebuino_boot" from the archive to arduino/bootloaders (inside the Arduino app package not in the Library folder)
-Add Gamebuino parameters to boards.txt (also inside the Arduino app package)
phi

Postby lastfuture » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Found the problem: I had to copy the libraries and hardware folders OUT of the Arduino App package. If I tried modifying them inside I couldn't start the App anymore because it said it was broken and had to be moved to the trash. I'm assuming because my security settings are set to not allow apps downloaded from anywhere and I modified a signed App or something.

So, copying libraries and hardware out of the App package into the Documents/Arduino folder fixed everything for me. I redid all the getting started steps in the Documents folder and now I can compile the examples! As a bonus when I update Arduino once a new stable version comes out I'll not have to redo all the steps.

Wheeee!
lastfuture

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting