For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project
Post a reply

[SOLVED] Slight Damage to Screen

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi!

I got my Gamebuino this morning and everything's working fine, but there appears to be some slight damage to the screen. I thought it was just a scratch on the screen protector, but peeling it off revealed the screen itself had a couple of dents in it. (Like a screwdriver or something had been dropped on it?)

Here's my best attempt at a pic of it. Excuse the blurriness!

Is it possible to get a replacement screen? I assume they're easy enough to remove and replace.

Re: Slight Damage to Screen

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Hello Pixelguff,

The nokia 5510 are refurbished display, that's why some of them might have scratches. As they say on adafruit's page, "These screens are recycled from older cell phones so they often have tiny nicks or scratches. There's no such thing as a 'new' Nokia 5110 display, but the scratches are not noticeable when in use. "

When I assemble and test Gamebuinos, I put away the ones with big dents or to much scratches. I might have missed yours, I'm sorry about that. If the dent is really embarassing, I can send you a replacement screen. But for now you'll have to wait about one month, as I keep displays for Gamebuinos being assembled (I don't have extra stock yet). If you can't wait, you can always buy one for cheap on eBay.

Re: Slight Damage to Screen

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:39 pm

OK, cool. Cheers!

If you could send one, that would be great, but there's no rush because I can still use it. I'll post back in this thread in a month and let you know if I picked one up already or not. :)

Re: [SOLVED] Slight Damage to Screen

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:05 pm

I do believe that I've seen clones of the 5110 screen about, but I have no idea of they're compatible.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Ah, didn't know that.

Then my quesion is obsolete, cause i got some tearing(?) on my screen.
It's just onw line, so don't care about it, was just wondering if others have the same 'problem' ;)

http://imgur.com/0jXVEAW

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Hello again!

It turns out I'm horribly impatient. Is that screen in the Adafruit link above the exact screen I need? (http://www.adafruit.com/products/338)

If so, I'll order one now.

Cheers.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Yep that's the exact same screen :)
I'm deeply sorry about the scratches, I had a talk with my supplier and the quality is greatly improved now.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Just to update the thread:

I bought a screen from Hobbytronics. It arrived today and and the swapover was a 2 minute job. Everything's perfect now!

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Great to hear :)

Once again I'm deeply sorry about the bad screen quality, I was as disappointed as you when I received them, if not more. Now it's going to be way better.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:13 pm

No problem! These things happen. I'm just glad to be able to play now. :)
Post a reply