[SOLVED] Screen connection/contrast problem

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

[SOLVED] Screen connection/contrast problem

Postby jhhoward » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 am

I was excited to receive my Gamebuino yesterday, but I've been having some problems with the connection with the screen.

The sound plays when I turn it on, so I followed the instructions on the Wiki: I took off the front and back plates, and wiggled the screen around. After about 15 minutes of trying to find the right spot, I managed to get it to work.

The problem is that with a small bump or a shake, the screen loses contact again. The first few times, it started to make all the pixels go dark or all go white, but now the display is not working again.

Since I'm going to have to take it apart again to adjust the screen, is there anything you can recommend I do to improve the contact? e.g. adding a blob of solder on some contact points?

Also, in the Wiki it says:
Check that the screen holder is in place

Is this referring to the small piece of acrylic that sits underneath the screen near the usb port?
jhhoward

Re: Screen connection problem

Postby rodot » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:40 am

The screen holder is the part highlighted in blue on this picture :

screen_holder.PNG
screen_holder.PNG (47.34 KiB) Viewed 6227 times

This part is used to push the screen against to PCB to avoid that it moves. If yours was near the usb port then it was in the wrong place, that's why it didn't help the hold the screen in position. Could you please try to put it in the right position and see if that helps ?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby jhhoward » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

Oops! Yes, looks like I put it in upside-down when I put it back together. I'll make sure I fix that tonight and see if that helps.

Edit:
OK, so I took my gamebuino apart again to readjust the screen and also put the screen spacer in correctly. I'm still having a lot of trouble trying to get the display to remain connected to the board properly. Is it supposed to be this sensitive, or is it just mine in particular?

Any suggestions?
jhhoward

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:02 pm

jhhoward wrote:Oops! Yes, looks like I put it in upside-down when I put it back together. I'll make sure I fix that tonight and see if that helps.

Edit:
OK, so I took my gamebuino apart again to readjust the screen and also put the screen spacer in correctly. I'm still having a lot of trouble trying to get the display to remain connected to the board properly. Is it supposed to be this sensitive, or is it just mine in particular?

Any suggestions?

Well, if you get it working, you can always use a dab of hot glue in the corners to hold it still a bit better. I haven't gotten mine, so I can't say i've tried that fix. I didn't actually realize the screens could even come out like that.
DFX2KX

Postby rodot » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:18 pm

jhhoward wrote:Is it supposed to be this sensitive, or is it just mine in particular?

Mmh, no, it shouldn't be that sensitive. Did you check that the rubber contact of the screen was clean? There might be some dust or something on it?

If you can't get it to work properly I can send you a replacement screen, but for now you'll have to wait about one month, as I keep displays for the Gamebuinos I'm assembling (I don't have extra stock yet, and many of them are defective). If you don't want to wait, you can always buy one for cheap on eBay. Excuse me for the inconvenience.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby jhhoward » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:21 am

I'll try unclipping the screen and checking for dirty contacts. I've noticed that the front light LED always comes on without fail, so a dirty contact seems a likely scenario. I'll get back once I've taken a look.
jhhoward

Postby inversesandwich » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:24 pm

jhhoward wrote:I'll try unclipping the screen and checking for dirty contacts. I've noticed that the front light LED always comes on without fail, so a dirty contact seems a likely scenario. I'll get back once I've taken a look.

The LEDs are not part of the display, they are on the PCB under the screen, so loose/dirty contacts are possible.
inversesandwich

Postby rodot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Yep dirty contacts are possible, and it seems to work pretty well to clean them using gasoline (not sure of the English name, it's called "essence F" in French, it's used to clean adhesive residue when you remove tape). I had several screens with dull contrasts, I cleaned the contacts and now they work flawlessly.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby DFX2KX » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 pm

rodot wrote:Yep dirty contacts are possible, and it seems to work pretty well to clean them using gasoline (not sure of the English name, it's called "essence F" in French, it's used to clean adhesive residue when you remove tape). I had several screens with dull contrasts, I cleaned the contacts and now they work flawlessly.

gasoline doesn't sound like my first choice to clean electronics contacts, but it can work. pencil erasers work oddly well, also.
DFX2KX

Postby bstea » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Solved this your problem?
I have a similar problem. The display shows content maybe 1/30 tries, then always in bad quality, directory listing hardly readable.
After selection of a program i get an error like not found, eprom erasing and display doesn't work(also when i start with holding c-button).
I get sound and background light but a blank screen.
bstea

Next

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting