[SOLVED] Dosent Boot Anymore

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

Re: [SOLVED] Dosent Boot Anymore

Postby Quibble » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks, Ive now managed to get the SD card to be recognised. I used the same code as before, but changed it to FAT16:

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 1 MBRFormat "MS-DOS FAT16" "GAMEBUINO" 100%

It appears every time I try and do a standard format, the SD card stops working, but If I do this, It works once more.

So when the SD card has been formatted, there is one file with a .TRA extension. Its has a character in the title which looks like a downwards facing >

x>1.tra

when i copy the other HEX files across and boot up I get a very strange result. i copy the 12 files but 24 appear on the gamebuino (+1 extra for the .tra file). they all seem to be copies of the original hex files. All of them start with an underscore and end with the same downwards facing > and a 1. they are all also 4KB in size.

Ive re-checked on my computer and they are not there, even after another format, and emptying the trash (incase they are old deleted files) and using another programme:

http://faqintosh.com/risorse/en/sys/setrash/

to check that specific volume for undeleted rubbish. It couldn't find anything. Ive done various error checks on my computer and nothing has said I've damaged the SD card yet so Im assuming its working fine (especially now I can read from it).

Sorry to keep hassling you, and thats for all your advice
Quibble

Won't turn on

Postby Jackattack » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:21 am

Hi! My gamebuino came in today, and I love it. I started it up and was going to open the game menu from the micro sd menu, and while in the transition screen where it tells you not to shut off, it died. Now when I start it, it is a blank screen. I tryed to start it while holding c and nothing happens. It worked one time but only the lights came on, nothing on the display
Jackattack

Postby rodot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:19 am

Hello Jackattack,
I merged your topic with this one, which might bring you some answers. Please go through it and tell us if it solves your problem.
Welcome on the forum :)
rodot
Site Admin

Won't Boot ಠ_ಥ

Postby Calvin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:33 am

PROBLEM:
The gamebuino will no longer boot. It booted initially when i got it with no problems twice. The I turned the off the gamebuino without re-flashing the loader. It wouldn't turn back on so I looked on the wiki for help, I successfully boot the gamebuino once by holding 'c' to re-flash the loader while starting. After turning it off again it has stayed off, and by 'off' I mean the screen is blank but the power button will turn on. I have already completely wiped reformatted and reloaded the data on the microSD twice with no change (this was suggested on another thread).
Last edited by Calvin on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calvin

Postby rodot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:25 am

Hey Calvin,
I merged your topic with this one because I think it's better for future user to find all the solutions related to one issue in one place.
Does your Gamebuino play sound when it stats up?
Did you try to upload a program through USB?
Is the battery charged?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby ripper121 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 am

Can you move the screen with your finger a little bit up/down left/right, can be a contact problem. (Do you hear a sound at start?)
ripper121

Postby couribel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:24 am

Hi, I've also a boot problem on one of my Gamebuinos.
I think I crash the loader by switching off just after pressing the C button to change game :-(

So, I try different things like :
- reformat in FAT16 the SD card (and reload all HEX files downloaded from github)
- install the gamebuino context in gamebuino.exe to be able to load programs (as described here : http://gamebuino.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... hrough_USB)
- load one example and send to gamebuino ==> this game is loaded, and run correctly
- now I'd like to reload the default boot program, which will load loader.HEX from SD card
For this, I've tried the following code (from the 1st page) :
Code: Select all
    // this code demonstrates the use of load_game
    // upload it into gamebuino and then open the serial port monitor, you should see
    // the "Send a char to start..." message. send a character to it and it
    // will attempt to load and burn LOADER.HEX from the SD card

#define load_game (*((void(*)(const char* filename))(0x7ffc/2)))

void setup() {
      Serial.begin(9600);
      Serial.println("Send a char to start...");
    }

void loop() {
      if (Serial.available()) {
        Serial.read();
        load_game("LOADER");
      }
    }

But it's not working as expected.
In the serial monitor, I see "send a char", but nothing appear on the Gamebuino screen after sending a char.
No Loader.HEX loaded.

What can I do ?
Regards,
Laurent
couribel

Postby Calvin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:57 pm

rodot wrote:Hey Calvin,
I merged your topic with this one because I think it's better for future user to find all the solutions related to one issue in one place.
Does your Gamebuino play sound when it stats up?
Did you try to upload a program through USB?
Is the battery charged?

Sorry i wasn't clear on this, the battery is charged and no sound play on start up.

I tried to upload a program but couldn't, when I imported the libraries arduino stopped working, It's worth noting Im using the modded version of arduino. I havent had the time to fix it yet.
Calvin

Postby rodot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:10 pm

Ok then please try to fix your Arduino IDE to be able to upload a Gamebuino example, this will probably fix your problem.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Calvin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:35 pm

rodot wrote:Ok then please try to fix your Arduino IDE to be able to upload a Gamebuino example, this will probably fix your problem.

Okay, so I got arduino working and uploaded a sketch and it worked; I can turn the gambuino on and off fine, as long as I don't reflash. When I reflash the gambuino says "re-flashing loader: don't turn off" and then blank screens. I waited like five min.

I am very happy that it isnt totally broken, and that I can still work on my projects while its in this state, but would definitely like to know what is wrong with it.
Calvin

PreviousNext

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting