[SOLVED]Won't Charge

For problems with Gamebuino itself, NOT your project

[SOLVED]Won't Charge

Postby rotyler » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 pm

So I got my gamebuino today. (thanks rodot) But there is a HUGE problem. Whenever i plug it in to charge the charge led flashes then goes off.
What is wrong with the gamebuino? (I tried other chargers)
:(
rotyler

Re: Won't Charge

Postby rodot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Mmh, I've never seen that before.
You said you tried with other charger, but did you try with a different cable?
Are you sure it doesn't charge?
- Please load CRABATOR.HEX and go in "System info". What is the "Bat" voltage? Does it go up when you plug your Gamebuino in?
- If you have voltmeter, you can also check if there is a battery voltage difference when you plug it in?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby rotyler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:22 am

tried every charger and cord i have. I used the same one I use for my phone and let it "charge" for an hour. When I checked later the battery was the same... 3519MV what should i try next? EDIT actully when I plug the charger in the AR/TV arrows flash then go off but it doesn't charge. after veiwing crabator sevral time my battery is dead and now my gamebuino is dead.
my theory is that the charger port is faulty or something because its hard to get the charger in.
rotyler

Postby rodot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:29 am

Mmh, it sounds like the charging chip is defective then.
Are you skilled in soldering? Could you visually check that there is no solder bridge between the pads of U2 please? You'll have to carefully unstick the battery to access this component. If you can't repair it yourself, please contact me at support (at) gamebuino (dot) com so we can arrange a replacement.
I'm deeply sorry for the inconvenience :(
rodot
Site Admin

Postby rotyler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 am

There is no solder brige between the U2 pads. Does that mean I need to add one?
rotyler

Postby rodot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 pm

No no no of course not. If it's not a defective soldering it's probably that the chip is dead. If your confident in your soldering skill you can try to replace it yourself. But you might prefer to contact me at support (at) gamebuino (dot) com to arrange a replacement, because if you damage your Gamebuino while you try to repair it I won't be able to repair it.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby rotyler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:41 pm

rodot wrote:No no no of course not. If it's not a defective soldering it's probably that the chip is dead. If your confident in your soldering skill you can try to replace it yourself. But you might prefer to contact me at support (at) gamebuino (dot) com to arrange a replacement, because if you damage your Gamebuino while you try to repair it I won't be able to repair it.

I will try to repair it. I just need to know where I can get the chip.
rotyler

Postby rotyler » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:50 am

After further Investigation my voltmeter reads 3.8 V with or without charger. Does this mean anything different?
rotyler

Postby rodot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:25 am

When you plug it in the battery voltage might need a few minutes before it starts to rise.
It can either be a defectiv lipo charger (U2) or a bad contact/track/pad in the USB port/lipo charger/battery way.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby rotyler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:32 pm

So today i sodered the new U2 chip in. After soldering it i realized that the R13 was not soldered at all... So, I soldered that then it all works now! :D
rotyler

Next

Return to Installation & Troubleshooting