complete noob needs help

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

complete noob needs help

Postby diplodocids » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:40 am

a couple of days ago i got my gamebuino and im already bored of the games that came with it. now i wont to make my own games but there is basicaly no tutorials except from the hello world thing by adeko and i dont really understand the commented stuff in the gamebuino library thing
so plz help !!!. yes i know i am a complete noob :lol: (sorry for my poor english im norwegian)
diplodocids

Re: complete noob needs help

Postby rodot » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Maybe you could start with the "Learning" page ;)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby diplodocids » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:30 pm

lol i've tried that to, but is there no tutorials (excluding the hello world one) that can help me ?
diplodocids

Postby Jolly » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Take a look at this: https://github.com/Rodot/Gamebuino/tree ... o/examples
And most of the people on here made their code public, so you can take a look at this as well.
Jolly

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:19 pm

I think we need to make tutorials like "how to make a menu" or "how to make a simple platformer" (probably not that last one though, might be a bit specific).
Would that be okay, Rodot?
I can do the simple stuff (menu, start screen, buttons).
Then I'll be contributing to the Gamebuino community :) .
(Seriously, I want to do more than what I am doing now)
Skyrunner65

Postby rodot » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Simple sings like menu and buttons are already explained in the reference, along with commented examples.
There is also more advanced examples to demonstrate physics or tile maps.
Skyrunner, don't take it the wrong way, but I think you should get more experienced (make a game for example) before you make tutorials about making games.

diplodocids wrote:lol i've tried that to, but is there no tutorials (excluding the hello world one) that can help me ?

Well the examples have plenty of comments to explain what each line does, and if you don't understand you can find the answer in the reference. You don't understand simple examples when you read them?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby jonnection » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 am

Diplodocids:

Starting with the Gamebuino is not going to be easy if you have zero knowledge of programming (complete noob).

There is a very simple reason for this: the Gamebuino is basically what is called a 'black box' - if something goes wrong with your program (and everything will go wrong when you are a noob) there are very few ways that it can communicate back to you. This is not because Gamebuino was badly designed or something, it is a limitation that comes from the Arduino platform on which the Gamebuino is based on.

If you are really willing to learn how to program, you need to start with learning the basic syntax (= the language rules) of the "C" language on your PC.
This is a necessary first step for all programming languages, no matter what you do.

If I were you, and I was serious about this, I would take the following steps:

1) Learn the basics of the C programming language

There is an excellent tutorial site on the web, that goes over the basic structure of C programs:

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/cprogramming/

This site is excellent, because they provide an online compiler. You can type in your code, press "try it" and you can get a first taste of how to program in C without the need to install anything on your computer.

2) Install C programming tools on your own computer

I use Code::Blocks because it is completely free, quite lightweight and easy to get running

http://www.cprogramming.com/code_blocks/

Then try to create some simple "Hello World" programs on your own computer. Why do this ? This is because if you program on your own computer, it will immediately tell you if there is a problem in your code that prevents it running. On the Gamebuino, in the worst case, you will just get no sound/nothing on screen and you will never know what is wrong. There are ways around this problem on the Gamebuino as well (=using serial port/emulator to debug), but they are way beyond your skill level at the moment.

3) Buy an Arduino and learn to at least blink a LED with it

http://store.arduino.cc/product/A000066

The Gamebuino is based on Arduino. The language of Gamebuino is called "Processing", it is a descendant of the C language. If you go through the effort of learning to blink a LED on the Arduino (of which there are thousands of tutorials on the web), I guarantee you will come back to the examples on the Gamebuino site, take one look at them and go: "I understand what is happening in this program".

The Arduino is in itself also a very fun device and you will not waste your time and money if you check it out.

These are the steps to become a skilled programmer on the Gamebuino. You may follow them or not, but no one has the time needed to take you through from "noob" level to where you want to be if you do not do at least some of this stuff on your own.
jonnection

Postby Grahack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:24 am

The language of Gamebuino is called "Processing"

Hi, could you confirm this?
Grahack

Postby Myndale » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Grahack wrote:
The language of Gamebuino is called "Processing"

Hi, could you confirm this?

Yeah, someone correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't sound right to me. Processing is an open-source platform designed to teach programming with a specific bias towards the visual arts (see this and this), Arduino provides a library for sketches to communicate with the external processing IDE and applications (see this). The "Gamebuino language" is C/C++ via the gcc compiler but with heavily restricted pre-processor support.

As far as I'm aware, anyway...
Myndale

Postby rodot » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:58 pm

I second you on that Myndale, as far as I know Processing is huge Java library to make it very easy to code and it comes with a minimalist IDE which the Arduino IDE was based on (that's why they look very similar). It might not be exact, but the idea is that Gamebuino/Arduino is to AVR C++ what Processing is to Java : an extensive library to make it easier and quicker to start with.
rodot
Site Admin

Next

Return to Programming Questions