Sound testing

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Sound testing

Postby NicK » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:59 pm

What is everyone using to test out sounds - except for the Gamebuino itself? Unfortunately Myndales excellent emulator doesn't seem to work sound wise - at least on my machine. I'd love to have a way to experiement without having to use the hardware.

Thanks,

Nick
NicK

Re: Sound testing

Postby rodot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Hey,

Myndale's emulator supports sound, do you have a recent version ? If have installed it a while ago you might consider updating.
What system do you run, could you provide more details ? Here I have no problem with windows 7 x64.
As far as I know there is no other emulator supporting sound so far.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Montiey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:46 pm

What about FXSynth by Yodasvideogamearcade? I'm not sure what you meant; if you need something to make and test sounds, or an emulator that supports sound.

:)
Montiey

Postby NicK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:24 am

I'm running on Vista (quite embarrassing that) - and i get very bad clicking sound all the time, so i have to disable sound. I have a machine with Windows 8.1 on it so I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer the other question - I'm looking for a way to develop sounds in games so emulating is really the quickest way.

Thanks - Nick.
NicK

Postby rodot » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 am

You should wait for Myndale's tracker, you'll be able to compose your sound and hear the playback directly in the same software. Maybe you could focus on the other aspects of your games until then :P
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Myndale » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:31 am

rodot wrote:You should wait for Myndale's tracker, you'll be able to compose your sound and hear the playback directly in the same software. Maybe you could focus on the other aspects of your games until then :P

Just a status update with this....Cyberic and I exchanged emails over the past couple of days and work has resumed on the tracker. I've discovered that the crashing problems in Simbuino are actually due to the sound code I was using which has caused me nothing but grief since day one. I've identified another library that should be suitable for both Simbuino and the tracker and I'm currently doing tests to make certain it's stable, in the mean time the best way to avoid the Simbuino ctrl-f5 bug is to disable sound from the settings dialog.

I know it's been a long time coming but tracker continues to be my #1 focus and I should have something up and running very soon now....
Myndale

Postby NicK » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Can someone just help with the correct syntax to play 2 notes one after the other for me?

I know that playNote will only play one note. So playPattern is what I need I guess. I just can't see any examples of that in action.

Any help?

Thanks in advance
NicK

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:24 am

NicK wrote:I'm running on Vista (quite embarrassing that).
I get very bad clicking sound all the time, so i have to disable sound.
I have a machine with Windows 8.1 on it so I'll give that a try.

1. I run on WinXP(even more embarrassing).
2. I get clicking sounds whenever I leave it alone for a while and then come back to it, and only for a second.
3. That may not be in your favor, but then again Simbuino is made in .NET, which is supported(made?) by Microsoft.
Skyrunner65

Postby Myndale » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:06 am

Skyrunner65 wrote:1. I run on WinXP(even more embarrassing).
2. I get clicking sounds whenever I leave it alone for a while and then come back to it, and only for a second.
3. That may not be in your favor, but then again Simbuino is made in .NET, which is supported(made?) by Microsoft.

Skyrunner the version you have uses the old sound engine, it's since been replaced by a new one that is a lot more stable and efficient. I suspect the reason music players don't work is because most of them (including the first one I originally created) use Timer mode 8 which I haven't added to the emulator yet. Won't be difficult to add but it's low on the priority list atm.
Myndale

Postby NicK » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:08 am

So problem solved - I got a new machine with Windows 8 now!!

Anyway - one thing I've noticed with the sound is that if you load the game from a file it works (Simbuino) but if you reload using CTRL+F5 then sound doesn't work. Not a big problem just noticed that.

So could someone give a quick pointer on making a 2 note sound?? One after the other......

Thanks
NicK

Next

Return to Programming Questions