Hi I'm Just Beginning

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Hi I'm Just Beginning

Postby shwisha » Thu May 21, 2015 12:32 am

I tried searching the forms for beginners help but didn't have much luck.

I have a basic understanding of C/C++ I've done my share of calculators, paper rock scissors and a few really basic games with stencyl(I feel even this is too complex for the type of games I'd like to make). I'm not looking to make a career out of this, just a hobby.

I'm drawn to Gamebuino/Arduino because of their simplicity from a programming and game design perspective. I'm not looking to make a call or duty or even a angry birds. I've reviewed the Learning and Reference information and now I want to get my hands dirty.

Questions:

1. What compiler do you recommend?
2. What Gamebuino or Arduino emulator do you recommend? (don't have a gamebuino yet, wanted to get my hands dirty first)
3. Any Gamebuino/Arduino programming tutorials you recommend?
4. Any non Gamebuino/Arduino programming tutorials you recommend? Any other programming resources translate really well?
5. How did you start your game development hobby/career and any advice you'd give someone like me?

Thanks!
shwisha

Re: Hi I'm Just Beginning

Postby Sorunome » Sat May 23, 2015 9:41 am

Heya, welcome to the forum!
As for the compiler, just use the built-in one in the arduino IDE http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
Sorunome

Postby Jerom » Sat May 23, 2015 9:01 pm

shwisha wrote:2. What Gamebuino or Arduino emulator do you recommend? (don't have a gamebuino yet, wanted to get my hands dirty first)
3. Any Gamebuino/Arduino programming tutorials you recommend?
4. Any non Gamebuino/Arduino programming tutorials you recommend? Any other programming resources translate really well?
5. How did you start your game development hobby/career and any advice you'd give someone like me?
Thanks!

2. I would recommend Simbuino (by Myndale): it's the easiest emulator to use & install.

3-4. there are not a lot of Gamebuino tutorials out there sadly... :(
On my side, I learnt by checking the Gamebuino examples, and the code sources of the games available on the wiki page.
Oh, and reading the Reference page is mandatory. (the Perf. optimization page is also useful).

Also, before discovering the Gamebuino, I put my hands on Processing for some weeks (similar code langage): this tutorial is really great.

5. never tried Stencyl, but I use Construct 2 for years. One thing I do monthly - and I recommend - is participating to a gamejam (Ludum Dare is one the most popular): it's helpful to do small games over a week-end or a week, and you can have a LOT of feedback. In this way I'm not overwhelmed by too ambitious projects.
Jerom

Postby shwisha » Mon May 25, 2015 6:29 am

Jerom wrote:[quote="shwisha]
Also, before discovering the Gamebuino, I put my hands on Processing for some weeks (similar code langage): this tutorial is really great.

5. never tried Stencyl, but I use Construct 2 for years. One thing I do monthly - and I recommend - is participating to a gamejam (Ludum Dare is one the most popular): it's helpful to do small games over a week-end or a week, and you can have a LOT of feedback. In this way I'm not overwhelmed by too ambitious projects.[/quote]

Thanks!
shwisha

Return to Programming Questions