saving data to the SD card

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

saving data to the SD card

Postby noah » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi,
How would I save data to the SD card, I want to save a score variable to be shown in the next game... I looked through some of the examples but didn't really understand what was going on. What is the easiest way?

Thanks in advance, Noah :)
noah

Re: saving data to the SD card

Postby Sorunome » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:19 am

For simple highscore storage stuff you use the EEPROM, the loader automatically handles saving that to sd card and loading from it :)
Sorunome

Postby noah » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:58 am

How do you write to eeprom? It doesn't appear to have anything about it in the reference.
noah

Postby rodot » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:09 am

That's because the EEPROM library is part of Arduino, not Gamebuino ;)
See the Arduino EEPROM library reference.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby wuuff » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:29 am

I think it would be really helpful if the reference had a brief discussion of the way that the loader deals with the eeprom, because I had to look through the source of the loader to be sure I understood how it worked.

If I recall, the loader automatically saves the eeprom of a program whenever it starts if any byte in the eeprom is not zero, and the eeprom contents are saved in a .SAV file on the SD card with the same name as the game. Otherwise, it will not bother to save it. Then, right before flashing a game, it checks whether a save file exists for that game and, if so, populates the eeprom with the contents of that save file. I wanted to check this when I was adding highscores to a game because it was not clear to me at first whether I needed to do anything special besides just writing to eeprom.

Is it welcomed here for anyone to make additions to the wiki? I think it would be helpful to have a simple explanation about this, and I would be happy to do it myself if nobody objects to the idea. I just don't want to upset anyone if somebody objects and thinks it isn't needed.
wuuff

Postby Sorunome » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:04 am

What you just said about the eeeprom is correct, it would be great if you could add it to the wiki for others! :D
Sorunome

Return to Programming Questions