Various questions

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Various questions

Postby MrTAToad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Wondering if you could answer the following questions :

Will a version of SDL (preferably 2) be available ?
    What memory is available for programs ?
    What compiler and IDE can be used ?
MrTAToad

Re: Various questions

Postby adekto » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:33 pm

SDL will not work with the limited memory
the exact amount of memory im not sure of since there still tweaking the bootloader
any IDE wil work that has arduino extansion or compiler (recomanded to use the official arduino IDE)
adekto

Postby Myndale » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:34 pm

There will be exactly 30592 bytes of Flash memory available for applications i.e. the 32KB in the ATMEGA328p minus 2KB for the boot loader and 128 bytes for the page containing user settings. Keep in mind though that all the memory in this area can be re-flashed at any time via a call to the boot loader without the need for a reset.

In addition to Flash memory there is also 2KB of volatile SRAM and 1KB of non-volatile EEPROM, all of which is available to applications.
Myndale

Postby MrTAToad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:43 pm

What sound/music formats will it take?
MrTAToad

Postby Skyrunner65 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Wow Myndale, that's a lot to take in, and I understand most of it (crazy, right?).
People will probably use up to about 25kb for applications, unless they want LAG (The mysterious beast, always screwing things up).
Skyrunner65

Postby MrTAToad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:45 pm

One other thing : I presume there will be no limit (besides memory) to the number/amount of graphics. Will there be any concept of sprites or objects need to be built from what used to be called UDG's ?
MrTAToad

Postby adekto » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Skyrunner65 wrote:Wow Myndale, that's a lot to take in, and I understand most of it (crazy, right?).
People will probably use up to about 25kb for applications, unless they want LAG (The mysterious beast, always screwing things up).

wel lag has more to do with the sram u got wich btw it also holds the screen buffer and other stuff
ofcource dont expect to draw allot of things and move them around and expect no lag...

for sound is like chiptune and it has build in sounds (so dont expect any waves)
im looking true the file and its all in hex but its based on the arduino sound library
adekto

Postby adekto » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 pm

MrTAToad wrote:One other thing : I presume there will be no limit (besides memory) to the number/amount of graphics. Will there be any concept of sprites or objects need to be built from what used to be called UDG's ?

user-defined graphic? there no charecters u can replace (standard charecter maps *) but u can use full sprites defined in program memory

(* wel technicaly u can but its not recomanded at all!!!)
adekto

Postby erico » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:19 pm

If the character map could handle an extra set without compromises, a gfx one, could it be a neat thing? Seems to be imho. ;)
erico

Postby adekto » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:39 pm

erico wrote:If the character map could handle an extra set without compromises, a gfx one, could it be a neat thing? Seems to be imho. ;)

wel if ur clever enugh (its not to hard i think) u can do a charecter map like thing with sprites the problem with the char map is that it only has a prefixed resolution of 5 by 8 sprites can be as big as the screen
adekto

Next

Return to Programming Questions