Dune Saga RPG

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: Dune Saga RPG

Postby Duhjoker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Ok so every now and then there's a glitch where you can see a couple horizontal pixels bars and the screen will freeze for a moment. Other times just the player will freeze for a few seconds.

I'm pretty sure it's doing something just not what it's supposed to do.
Duhjoker

Postby awesome101 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 pm

What is happening is that when you are saying tft.popup(F(" ""Rock"" "),1); in an if statement that popup function is being called consecutively frame after frame because the if statement is true when you touch the rock. You have to call the popup function only ONCE and then wait for the updatePopup to finish drawing the popup. To prevent this, change your popup functions to the below:
Code: Select all
void GrafxT3::popup(const __FlashStringHelper* text, uint8_t duration){

if (popupTimeLeft < millis()) {
   popupText = text;

popupTimeLeft = millis() + duration * 1000;
   }

}

void GrafxT3::updatePopup(){

if (millis() < popupTimeLeft){

int yOffset = 0;

setTextSize(1);

//      setColor(WHITE);

fillRoundRect(0,GrafxT3_TFTHEIGHT-textsize+yOffset-3,320,textsize+3,3,WHITE);

//      setColor(BLACK);

drawRoundRect(0,GrafxT3_TFTHEIGHT-textsize+yOffset-3,320,textsize+3,3,BLACK);

setCursor( 4, GrafxT3_TFTHEIGHT-textsize+yOffset-1);

print(popupText);

}

awesome101

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:22 am

Connecting rooms is painfully tedious!!! But... Im starting to get the hang of it getting quicker. Still i havent done half the rooms yet. But its cool being able to run around the dungeons and map.

Gonna try to connect some village rooms tomorrow and post a vid. Ive got some tiles that i did in my head so im curious to see how they look.

I ended up adding a couch and a stool type chair.
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:54 pm

I've added a crap ton of e tar tile sprites. The total is 100 for just back ground stuff another handful or so of action tiles. I can't believe how much this game has changed. It started out with basic NES type graphics then very few tiles to now this world is gonna look busy.

I'm really digging the new shop method I'm trying to develop. I was thinking of drops that would be basic items like spice or water and even excrememt. Every thing on dune is recycled. Every thing!!!!!! Any way you can refine these ingredients using any of the plentiful recycling machines then using shops to turn those objects into 3D prints.

Now each shop will have basic items for health and so on but for more advanced weaponry and armor and so on you will have to find .stl files. Once turned in the STL files are uploaded to a cloud in game so all shops can then print the item out.

For in game puzzles look up the game boy game Quirk.

https://youtu.be/atHSwFCLgo0

It's a puzzle game where you have to move blocks or fill holes and even rotate them to find the path, some aspects might include having to use a buddy to get through.
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:15 am

Well I've been doing a lot reading for c++ and I've made some progress with the dune RPG but let's see what I've changed so far.

The over world for convenience and because it's different is divided into 9x 150x150 tile maps with a total of 17 villages. Villages consist of 5-7 rooms or houses instead of 14-15 rooms. The total regular tile count is now at 102. Found a lot of neat stuff for tiles.

I've made a draw battle function that brings up a monster and displays a lil menu that can select three to four options. But I'm stuck on the turn based damage parts.

Looks awesome with the new Zelda-ish Pokemon graphics.

I'm also trying to learn how to move blocks for puzzles if any one has any hints or suggestions. Ok back to work
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:27 am

Ok so ive almost got my map down for the Dune Chronicles RPG. I really want this huge map that can be explored. I mean big. But space constraints have stopped me from making the map this game really needs. I lost my work a couple weeks ago so ive been playing around with bigger than the 308. I did 358x358 then realized i need to section everything off in true RPG style and went up to 408x408. For a 16bit game its 3x larger than Dragonwarrior is for nes.

Any way i was wanting a few oppinions on cave system dungeons. I want to drop some space which can be done by making smaller cave system dungeons. But i wanted to know what the users wamt.

Long cave systems to get to places on the map or short? Long meaning 20 x 40 and 30 x 35 and such.

I was planning on also doing a dungeon system where there are 8 dungeons and each dungeon has as many levels as its number. Then have a boss at the end. Upon completing the dungeon the player is awarded an stl file for special weapon or piece of armor or item and maybe a comic.

All items in game will be made from stl files. So very few its placed around. The questing will be more about story amd collecting stl files.
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 am

I just can't stop upgrading the graphics and changing the style!!!!

The Zelda dirt/rock tiles mixed with the light brown floor tiles and the sand tiles were just too much brown and there wasn't any real contrast except for some green here and there. Plus they just didn't look orthogonal enough for me. I started looking at Pokemon and drew some inspiration from a few game pics and added some grey stone tiles which look awesome and allow me to give the game a more 3D like feel.

I would post some pics but the site will not allow attachments any more. You will just have to stay tuned
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:36 am

Heres a video showing some of thr game play.....

[youtube] https://youtu.be/RS_nb1-4cd0[/youtube]
Duhjoker

Previous

Return to Project Guidance & Game development