Gamebuino Games

Improvements for the web system, applications to moderator, spam, etc.

Gamebuino Games

Postby zerosimms » Wed May 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Hello, I though I should start a new thread for this...
I mentioned getting together a web site for us to upload, play, share and trade our games on and today I finished a "mood board" so I thought I would show you what I'm thinking to see what you think and get early feedback.

Believe it or not, but the longest part of todays effort was going through Logo design, I made so many changes to get it to where it is and I'm hoping that doesn't show as I want it to be simple, clean and in keeping with Gamebuino, with that in mind the logo is inspired (obviously) by Nintendo, in keeping and the colours chosen are that off the Gamebuino 'A' and 'B' button's albeit totally different shades :)
So without no further ado...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lgtqdoy2kug1kp/gameBuinoMoodBoard.png
zerosimms

Re: Gamebuino Games

Postby adekto » Wed May 07, 2014 5:08 pm

under what agreements do developers need to take part in to publish?
(licence agreement)
adekto

Postby zerosimms » Wed May 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Honestly, I haven't got that far; I'm still thinking about the web site and it's functionality, it's a good question though...

In my current mindset anyone can register and submit content for the Gamebuino, obviously to being with I'll have to do a lot of policing to make sure people submitting are submitting their own games, perhaps source code will be required but not published unless specified by the author.
But in all honestly I'll need to think carefully about agreements. I know I don't want to be anal or bog people down in small print, keep it clean and simple :)

My biggest concern at the moment is how we handle developers monopolizing if they wish too. One idea I have been given is a donate button, this would allow anyone to download you game for free or for whatever price they want to set.

The other idea is to have a straight out fee, so you as the developer can sell your game at what ever price and only user who pay for it can download it.

My personal expression is the donate option, being a game developer myself I know this option works well and people are less likely to ask for their money back, complain etc... They want to donate because they genuinely like your game and want to give something back, but honestly I'm open for ideas/suggestions on that front.
zerosimms

Postby Drakker » Wed May 07, 2014 6:34 pm

Before you spend all this time and efforts working on this site, you might actually want to do some kind of market study... say, ask Gamebuino developers if they are interested in such a system or if they are content with the wiki or whatever. Then, find out if players actually care, would donate, or would even buy a game for the Gamebuino. This is a very DIY oriented community, there won't even be 1000 Gamebuinos around until the second wave of production, and some of these are multiplayer packs going to only one person.

You might find out that there's no market for the product you are about to create... it is better to find out before putting too much effort into it. You are going to have to try to convince a community of hardcore DIYers and open source enthusiasts that your product is worth their time. Though one.
Drakker

Postby adekto » Wed May 07, 2014 6:41 pm

for policing u need a voting system and even flagging
but everything has to happen pretty manually if there is any money transaction u got to do that, as well to ensure there is no issues with the game

this why i was looking at games to be on the gamebuino website itself to be pay able and also quality controlled

i was wondering if u had any intentions in taking any % in earnings?
adekto

Postby zerosimms » Wed May 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Hey Adekto, there's a voting system in place already, a flag system could easily be added to help raise "dodgy" content alert, something I was thinking about as well ;)

There would be no percentage taken from me or the web site if the ability to sell games is left in, 100% to the developer.

Hello Drakker
There's a market for it, people have been discussing it elsewhere in this forum. From my point of view as a developer and a "consumer" I know I would like a web site dedicated to the games, so that I can see what's new, what's looking good, throw in my two bobs worth and track my downloads.

From a developer point of view, I've been a member on a number of gaming forums and they are great for the development process, God knows I need the help :) However, in my experience game posts get lost very quickly and shrouded in conversation which isn't the best platform for promoting it. I'm looking at Stencyl here, they have hit the nail on the head with a great community but almost a separate entity for promoting, with the ability to have your game highlighted, comments posted, share options and voted added, it helps increase the visibility if only for a while.

Honestly, I'm not trying to take people away from the forum, far from it, just trying to expand the "experience". I've already shown a number of people at work the Gamebuino, some of which wouldn't even dream of getting into development but love the idea of the Gamebuino and one who will be purchasing one (well... that's what he say's) I'd really like to say "check out my game" and he can see a nice presentation of screenshots, votes etc...
zerosimms

Postby Drakker » Wed May 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Well, you seem convinced, I hope this project works out. I'll make sure to add my games to your site. Don't forget to include a prominent link to download the source code along with the game.
Drakker

Postby zerosimms » Wed May 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Thank you, it's going to be fun I'm sure ;)
Luckily for me, this is a development task for my brother so I can focus on my games :lol:
zerosimms

Postby Joder921 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:17 am

I talked about this on a separate thread slightly.
adekto wrote:for policing u need a voting system and even flagging
but everything has to happen pretty manually if there is any money transaction u got to do that, as well to ensure there is no issues with the game

this why i was looking at games to be on the gamebuino website itself to be pay able and also quality controlled

i was wondering if u had any intentions in taking any % in earnings?

I have to agree with Adekto on this one. Having a place directly on this website would make it so much easier to find everything in one place, plus some people might think it is sketchy to donate or download from an unknown site. Maybe you could partner with the rest of the team, and help make the storefront for the Gambuino website. you are the first one to try, and i don't see anybody apposing of you being the one to create it. Try getting the approval of rodot to make a storefront, it would be wonderful to see this come alive.
P.S. I think you should use the Gamebuino logo style font for the title (maybe even all text)
Looks great :)
Joder921

Postby hrangan » Tue May 13, 2014 1:32 pm

I think WIP's should remain on the forums. This makes it a bit easier for people to find and play games. Most websites which allow WIP's on the main page suffer from a problem where it's saturated with a ton of half ready, good enough code/games.
hrangan

Next

Return to Website and Forum