Bricks! [In development - Test demo available!]

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Bricks! [In development - Test demo available!]

Postby Drakker » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:36 am

New test demo available with sources at: http://www.drakker.org/gamebuino/bricks/

Includes 4 levels and a quickly cobbled together interface.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
OLD

Alright, I think the gameplay is settled and feature complete. Guess it's time to work on the boring stuff like menus and game over screens.

Here's a link to the new binary and sources: http://www.drakker.org/gamebuino/bricks/
There are still some rough edges in the code but it's getting there.

New items include the exploding balls (X, explodes the next time it hits a block), ball warps (W, warps straight up), fast balls (F) and slow balls (S). New blocks include weaker bombs (108) and randomly reappearing blocks (6). Levels are now stored in a proper 2d array instead of the previous flat array. Since it is still a test version, you still can't lose your first ball. Bug reports are always welcome.

Here are two more videos:
ImageImage

Todo (as a reference for myself):
- Fix the items drawing over each others.
- Fix items pickup height
- Add a few animations (items pickups, death, etc).
- Make the ball more visible (elongated maybe?)
- Draw the ball differently when it is about to explode.
- Level loading/saving from/to the SD card.
- Time the game for high scores.

OLDER

Alright, here comes a playable version!

Get it there: http://www.drakker.org/gamebuino/bricks/.

Here's the usual movie:

Lots of things added, rockets and proper explosions, lasers, bunch of different blocks. I included the source code in its current state (there's still room for improvement), so if you guys want to edit levels, go right ahead, it's a 80 entries flat array, it looks like this:

Code: Select all
char bricks[] = {
  1,2,3,4,5,5,4,3,2,1, };

• Blocks 1-2-3 are the white, gray and black blocks.
  • Block 4 is the items block.
  • Block 5 is the indestructible block (need rockets or explosions to destroy it).
  • Block 100 is the exploding block.

I will need to work on a system to read and save levels to the SD card, I plan on having a default 100 levels set, and extra levels sets will be supported, so that you guys can create your own level sets.

For high score, I think it's going to list times. With rockets, lasers and explosions, it will probably be a much more fun challenge to complete levels as fast as possible than to watch your score rise each time you hit a brick.

If you guys want to design levels right now, take a screen shot and paste the bricks array here, so I can include them in the final release, probably over xmas time. Also write whatever you want me to write for credits for the levels.

Note that in this test version you can't lose your first ball, it will always bounce off the bottom of the screen.

I think this is pretty much bug free, but there might still be a few bugs I haven't found and squashed, so bug reports are more than welcome.

Enjoy!

EVEN OLDER

Hi guys, I'm a bit late to the party with my life since early summer being a lot more busy than I would like. Still, found some time to start coding on the bus recently, and since I'd rather learn some before I tackle bigger projects, here's a simple Arkanoid/Breakout/etc/etc/etc style game. I'm impressed by the processing power of our little machine, there's no optimisation in my code at all, and yet it runs at a full 41 fps very smoothly. No code or executable yet, just this little 4 megs video.

Last edited by Drakker on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Drakker

Re: Bricks! [In development - not playable yet]

Postby Zoglu » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Your bricks look very good and their destruction animation is neat, looking forward to a playable demo ;)
Zoglu

Postby erico » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Yep, really cool, the destruction anim is so plesurable people will play just to look at it. ;)
erico

Postby ripper121 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=786

You can use my code to start ;)
ripper121

Postby Drakker » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:52 pm

I did look at it (and 101 starships!), but no offense, I like to write my own stuff from scratch. That's how I learn. ;)
Drakker

Postby rodot » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:52 pm

Looking great, I can't wait to try the playable version!
PS: I moved your topic from "Games gallery" to "Games development" as it's not playable yet.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Drakker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:50 am

Another little video, it's almost playable now. Lasers and rockets soon. I need to improve collision with the bar when the bar moves and hits the ball when it is relatively low. I will also rewrite my whole ball velocity logic, I tried to keep it as simple maths, but that does tricky things to the velocity (not shown in the video, I set it as fixed). I will make a pre-computed table of angles with X-Y velocities and ball velocity will be a percentage of these numbers. This should make things a lot more consistent. Oh, and explosions!

PS. Sorry Rodot, on dirait bien que j'étais pas mal dans la lune.

Drakker

Postby erico » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:12 am

OH MY! it looks utterly amazing!
Superb use of the grey!
Looks like it plays really smooth.
erico

Re: Bricks! [In development - now playable]

Postby Drakker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Alright, here comes a playable version!

Get it there: http://www.drakker.org/gamebuino/bricks/.

Here's the usual movie:

Lots of things added, rockets and proper explosions, lasers, bunch of different blocks. I included the source code in its current state (there's still room for improvement), so if you guys want to edit levels, go right ahead, it's a 80 entries flat array, it looks like this:

Code: Select all
char bricks[] = {
  1,2,3,4,5,5,4,3,2,1, };

• Blocks 1-2-3 are the white, gray and black blocks.
  • Block 4 is the items block.
  • Block 5 is the indestructible block (need rockets or explosions to destroy it).
  • Block 100 is the exploding block.

I will need to work on a system to read and save levels to the SD card, I plan on having a default 100 levels set, and extra levels sets will be supported, so that you guys can create your own level sets.

For high score, I think it's going to list times. With rockets, lasers and explosions, it will probably be a much more fun challenge to complete levels as fast as possible than to watch your score rise each time you hit a brick.

If you guys want to design levels right now, take a screen shot and paste the bricks array here, so I can include them in the final release, probably over xmas time. Also write whatever you want me to write for credits for the levels.

Note that in this test version you can't lose your first ball, it will always bounce off the bottom of the screen.

I think this is pretty much bug free, but there might still be a few bugs I haven't found and squashed, so bug reports are more than welcome.

Enjoy!
Drakker

Re: Bricks! [In development - now playable!]

Postby MexxNapster » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:13 pm

thank you for this awesome game it is really good :mrgreen:

Update:
i try to add a option to set the Framerate with "up" and "down"
My gray looks bad now :cry:
MexxNapster

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development