You might not like this, but...

Talk about (almost) anything

You might not like this, but...

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:54 pm

You might have a competitor, R0d0t.
http://arduboy.com/

This is the Arduboy, and even though I found it before I found the Gamebuino, I will side with Gamebuino. The Gamebuino actually has ports for cool stuff, and the arduboy has to put games in its memory, but the Gamebuino only needs an SD(or is it micro SD?) card.

Please do not get mad,
~Skyrunner65
Skyrunner65

Re: You might not like this, but...

Postby adekto » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:22 pm

hey dude np
u dont have to take a side, were not going sega-nintendo over this.
its a very neat device but allot of flaws, my concern is mostly the capasitive buttons and the breaking of the parts since there is not much suport or backing to the display.
altough i wished we had as much pixels to work with XD
adekto

Postby rodot » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 pm

You forgot to say that you need a solder iron every 10 hours to change the battery, and there is no USB port...
Gamebuino might seem bulky compared to Arduboy, but you charge the battery through the USB port, a micro SD card to store games and can play 4 channel sounds ;)
...but I have to admit that I'm jealous of Arduboy because he had a huge success in the media :(
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Myndale » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:55 pm

It doesn't appear to have an ICSP header either, so you'll need to bread board an equivalent circuit if you want to develop anything more complex than BLINK.HEX for it.

It's cute and gimmicky, and I always hope that Arduino projects do well, but it's completely impractical.
Myndale

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:18 pm

rodot wrote:You forgot to say that you need a solder iron every 10 hours to change the battery, and there is no USB port......but I have to admit that I'm jealous of Arduboy because he had a huge success in the media :(

:o It is shocking that you would find it jealous, and 10 hours to 24? Gamebuino is the winner!

adekto wrote:hey dude np
u dont have to take a side, were not going sega-nintendo over this.
altough i wished we had as much pixels to work with XD

I am not saying "Arduboy must die!", but I think that Gamebuino is better. Also, that screen is way small. Small screen = :geek:
Skyrunner65

Postby adekto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00 am

well if thickness didn't matter u can get an acrylic lens of some sort and put it on top of that oled display
i remember vaguely that the gameboy had one actually

but hey thats just my wierd idea
adekto

Postby aderp1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Besides... the Gamebuino looks WAY cooler! I much prefer the "open technology" look to the cartoony kids' toy thing! :D
aderp1

Postby erico » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Yep, the gamebuino design is just ACE!
It alone will stop a crowd :)
erico

Postby naesman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:29 pm

That was only the old arduboy the new one Is a whole lot better! Even with a metal back plate. Tbh arduboy looks a lot nicer, but Gamebuino has more functions and features. The arduboy has a nicer screen, a nicer finish, better advertisement, and a better help community, whereas the Gamebuino has a better system. (SD card and hex files.) Shame you guys can't join forces and make a product that has the best of both worlds......
naesman

Return to General forum