Arduboy

Talk about (almost) anything

Re: Arduboy

Postby erico » Tue May 19, 2015 4:11 pm

@Skyrunner65, BR means Brazil.
And yeah, it was a bit aggressive but not towards Nownew, towards kickstarter policies.
I should rid the post of swear words though, it is not cool at all...just a bit of raging. :oops:

@ajsb113, haha definently a funny idea. I used to do that when I was younger coding Basic games, but only around friends. ;)
erico

Postby Muessigb » Thu May 21, 2015 12:04 pm

The Arduboy looks like a cheap kids toy. I really like the design of the Gamebuino alot more. There are some things that I don't like about my particular Gamebuino (LCD sometimes fades out and the battery is dead -from the beginning-!), but it's still a great little device :)
Muessigb

Postby erico » Thu May 21, 2015 4:09 pm

Muessigb wrote:... (LCD sometimes fades out and the battery is dead -from the beginning-!)...

My battery came empty too if that is what you mean, otherwise after charging it has been working all fine and this thing really lasts.
Or do you mean you have a faulty battery? If so, contact Rodot.

Never had my LCD fading, it does have a couple big scratches (indieogo version) but they are noticeable only when the Gamebuino is off, almost invisible when on. This fading of yours is probably related to how the screen is attached to the board, probably a quick open up to clean contacts should fix that. There is info on this around the forum.
erico

Postby Myndale » Sat May 23, 2015 11:53 am

I've been really, really busy at work over the past month or so and only just learned about the Arduboy announcement tonight. The scene at my dinner table tonight was rather humorous with me yelling "wtf, that's my 3d demo!!" and my wife saying "wait, why aren't you getting paid for this?" :D

First of all I'm glad to see they've eventually given Rodot, Gamebuino and other consoles credit where due, although it would have been nicer if they'd done it from day 1 without having others (erico?) goad them into doing it.

With regards to using our stuff without giving credit, this is a tough one. I'm a jaded, bitter and twisted old game developer and I've seen this happen so many times now it doesn't even bother me any more. I once spent 4 months porting the Lua compiler, VM and libraries to a C# project called KopiLua only to see others strip my name from the credits and upload it to GitHub with their own contact details. It's definitely one of the more unsavoury aspects of open sourcing your work but it happens all too often, which is a shame because due credit is pretty much the only reward people get for open sourcing their work and this sort of thing makes people think twice before doing it again. That said, once you put things out there into the nether nether they become very difficult to control, it's why I held back for as long as I did before open sourcing the Simbuino code. If you're doing it purely for your own ego then open source probably isn't the way to go, but I myself love the Arduino (and especially the Gamebuino) scene enough to not be too fussed about it. At least these guys seem to be trying to do the right thing...once it's been brought to their attention!

As to the device itself I wish him all the best. It's obviously not what he set out to do originally but the original design was utterly unrealistic to begin with. Instead of giving up he appears to have arrived at a compromise and it looks like a really fun little device. I welcome the switch from capacitive to tactile buttons but the lack of SD card is a deal-breaker for me as is the form factor; if I want a tiny gaming device that feels uncomfortable to actually play games on then I'll go buy an iWatch! Design aesthetics notwithstanding this guy has a lot of work ahead of him to catch up to what Rodot has done over the past year, both in terms of the device itself and the community around it! I wish him the best but I'll be sticking with my Gamebuinos for now :)
Myndale

Postby blakewford » Sun May 24, 2015 3:08 am

As my BoardMicro project supports both the 328 and 32u4, I put in a bit of time to get a Hello World Arduboy demo running.
https://twitter.com/xlivewire/status/601992156346077184

I will likely keep working with this platform for the near future, but not for a reason I think is a strong motivator to start developing for it. The software stack right now is currently very small and that helps me when navigating through assembly code trying to build out a 2nd from scratch AVR emulator core. Ultimately better AVR emulation from my product means better Gamebuino stuff as well. Both processors are very similar. I am also trying to diversify and show ease of porting my code in the hopes a larger organization will take part in my browser based small device simulator. I think there is room for as many consoles as possible, but I would like some coordination from the project owners on the software layers.
blakewford

Postby Atomic » Sun May 24, 2015 3:53 am

I like the Arduboy... because it's what lead me here to find the Gamebuino. I wonder if Rodot has had a surge in Gamebuino sales recently, I saw another person in the introduction forum who also found out about the Gamebuino from the Arduboy Kickstarter. I do like the Gamebuino more, especially because of the SD card. The Arduboy could have really benefited from one with it's super portability. Instead it is tied to a computer every time you want to change games :x
Atomic

Postby erico » Sun May 24, 2015 5:47 am

Myndale wrote:...if I want a tiny gaming device that feels uncomfortable to actually play games on then I'll go buy an iWatch!...

Made my day! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to hear back from you Myndale, it really has been a while since you have been around.
Don´t go away for too long, makes us nervous. :roll:

Did you check Jerom and Jonnection´s stuff? Really awesome stuff! :)

Now talking about tiny, did you see this?
https://tinyscreen.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Soon we may have a nail size screen with bean size controls! :lol:
erico

Postby wwtom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:59 pm

My development unit of the Arduboy finally arrived so I started testing with it.
It costed 35€ incl shipping, so not a bad price for a super rare development unit, compared to Gamebuino.
The Arduboy looks really awesome! It is black, not glossy, but coarse, with some words written in gold on it. Especially the back looks so high-quality you think it’s a luxury object. Great work here! Its really thin, I guess like 2mm and as big as an normal EC-Card. The Buttons are really soft, you nearly cant feel any resistance, but they seem to work well. The Arduboy uses an not rechargeable battery, so the micro-USB port is used for data only. I have to say the Display is just soooo much better than the one Gamebuino has. The resolution is higher and the contrast is perfect for little pictures! The Arduboy was delivered with itself only, so no cable, case, anything.
All in all I think Arduboy is an awesome addition to the Gamebuino. It’s a bit more expensive and you can only have one game at the time, but if you want a higher resolution, I would definitely get an Arduboy, too.
wwtom

Previous

Return to General forum