BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: Gamebuino BASIC VM

Postby erico » Fri May 22, 2015 12:39 am

Nice! I´ll be keeping an eye on the blog and here.
Keep it up!
User avatar
erico
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Gamebuino BASIC VM

Postby Muessigb » Sun May 24, 2015 12:18 am

erico wrote:Nice! I´ll be keeping an eye on the blog and here.
Keep it up!

Thanks, I will!
I am working on the code since a few days now.
It's getting shape!

Now I can add another website to check out:
http://buinobasic.muessigb.net/
User avatar
Muessigb
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Germany

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby Muessigb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:37 am

I am working on a website for BuinoBasic together with CKH4 from Codewalr.us. You will be able to upload your games and let others download them.
It will contain an API reference, Download links and example programs.
If I can afford it, will I rent a domain name for it. If not will it be hosted on buinobasic.muessigb.net.
BuinoBasic will get a big project. I hope BuinoBasic will get an important programming language for new games and to make it easier for beginners to get started with the Gamebuino and maybe even programming.
User avatar
Muessigb
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Germany

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby erico » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:09 am

Nice!
A repository+wiki kind of thing me guesses.

It really would be great if the code could be compiled on the gamebuino itself.
I have a dream that we need a set of creative tools that could go on solo on the gamebuino, no other computer/internet required.
Independent creative handheld. 8-)

When it comes to coding, while we don´t have a keyboard on it, maybe it could be paired by some sort of connection module.
At the worst case scenario, there could be a zx-spectrum type virtual keyboard to lend a hand.

Just some wild thoughts.
User avatar
erico
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby Muessigb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:38 am

erico wrote:Nice!
A repository+wiki kind of thing me guesses.

It really would be great if the code could be compiled on the gamebuino itself.
I have a dream that we need a set of creative tools that could go on solo on the gamebuino, no other computer/internet required.
Independent creative handheld. 8-)

When it comes to coding, while we don´t have a keyboard on it, maybe it could be paired by some sort of connection module.
At the worst case scenario, there could be a zx-spectrum type virtual keyboard to lend a hand.

Just some wild thoughts.

Yeah kindof. My github will always be the place for the source code, but I will host some binary downloads on the site.
The site is fully custom made. You can already see it here: http://buinobasic.muessigb.net/Beta%20Site/home/.

I am working on this too. There will be a small compiler right on the Gamebuino, but it will have a reduced instruction set (e.g. no arrays, no functions, only 1 letter variables) because of technical limitations. We could actually provide a larger instruction set, and make typing easier and compiling faster, if we would let the user choose the command from a list instead of letting him type it. He could still type the arguments, but going this way would make everything alot easier.

Yeah, we could pair some PS2 keyboard to it or similar. The spectrum one is nice too.
I was also thinking about a RAM extension module to boost the Basic RAM from 2KB to 256KB via a small 2-chip module that you plug into the I2C and the ICSP bus (we need one chip select line from the I2C and we need the hardware SPI bus from the ICSP and its power).
User avatar
Muessigb
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Germany

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby Muessigb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:05 pm

Ok. I got some positive feedback already. But the project is really big. I will never cancel it, but I want to know who of you is (still) interested in programming in Basic on the Gamebuino and on the PC. I need some kind of feedback to know how large-scaled this will be.
User avatar
Muessigb
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Germany

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby Quirby64 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:59 am

I can try coding some BASIC programs if needed, but I haven't used the "original" BASIC I should say as I've used Sinclair BASIC through an emulator and Petit Computer BASIC on my 2DS (Which, I think is closer to regular BASIC). Even then, the most I could do would have to be entirely text based...
User avatar
Quirby64
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:23 am
Location: USA

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby Muessigb » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:11 am

Quirby64 wrote:I can try coding some BASIC programs if needed, but I haven't used the "original" BASIC I should say as I've used Sinclair BASIC through an emulator and Petit Computer BASIC on my 2DS (Which, I think is closer to regular BASIC). Even then, the most I could do would have to be entirely text based...

This is all community based. So you all pretty much tell me how your perfect BuinoBasic is going to look like.
We don't copy one particular style but we let us inspire from fragments from newer Basics and older ones.
So we take the strong typing and the functions from QBasic, some Game releated features from GLBasic and we let us inspire from what you need too.
Awesome that you join the Basic community here! :)
User avatar
Muessigb
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Germany

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby Quirby64 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Alrighty, so I tried writing the same basic program in both BASIC types and what I think would be regular BASIC (Though, idk if it's even close XD) :
Code: Select all
Sinclair BASIC
10 REM TOAST IS FREAKING AMAZING.
20 PRINT "DO YOU LIEK WAFFELZ?"
30 END

Petit Computer Basic
'Toast is freaking amazing.
VISIBLE 1,1,0,0,0,0
CLS:COLOR 0
PRINT"DO YOU LIEK WAFFELZ?"
PRINT"Eyy press da A button to exit the program."
@KLOOP
VSYNC 1
IF BTRIG()!=16 THEN @KLOOP
END

Probably what regular BASIC is like
//Toast is freaking amazing.
PRINT "DO YOU LIEK WAFFELZ?"
END


Maybe you can tell me how close each is to regular BASIC. :P
User avatar
Quirby64
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:23 am
Location: USA

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby Muessigb » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:58 am

Quirby64 wrote:Alrighty, so I tried writing the same basic program in both BASIC types and what I think would be regular BASIC (Though, idk if it's even close XD) :
Code: Select all
Sinclair BASIC
10 REM TOAST IS FREAKING AMAZING.
20 PRINT "DO YOU LIEK WAFFELZ?"
30 END

Petit Computer Basic
'Toast is freaking amazing.
VISIBLE 1,1,0,0,0,0
CLS:COLOR 0
PRINT"DO YOU LIEK WAFFELZ?"
PRINT"Eyy press da A button to exit the program."
@KLOOP
VSYNC 1
IF BTRIG()!=16 THEN @KLOOP
END

Probably what regular BASIC is like
//Toast is freaking amazing.
PRINT "DO YOU LIEK WAFFELZ?"
END


Maybe you can tell me how close each is to regular BASIC. :P

Thanks for the examples :)
Yeah I guess they're pretty close, but the // should be REM IIRC :P
For the Petit Computer Basic, I'm not sure. I didn't knew that one.
I will make the language easier by making the basic case-insensitive and without any line numbers. Also will I probably support // for comments
User avatar
Muessigb
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron